Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Getting blue screen stop error 0x0000007E when I try to start windows

• Please log in to reply

vtray

vtray

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This issue is occurring on a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.

This laptop was having what seemed like the google redirect virus. Avast antivirus was installed to help remove any problems on the system and also because it did not have an anti-virus program on it to begin with. Now to the fun (not really) stuff.

After seemingly removing what looked to be malware and possbily some viruses the system was restarted and I was in the process of trying to boot it into safe mode to try to run a few more tests. For whatever reason it would not load up safe made and required a restart. Unfortunately after restarting the system I get this error:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent.....etc.

Then the last line of the Blue Screen of Death error it says:

Technical information:
*** Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x853824c9, oxf7978c50,0xf797894c)

And now I have not been able to get past this screen when trying to get windows xp to start up.

I am however able to get to the recover console with the help of a Dell re-installation CD for windows xp home edition from another PC (keep in mind though that this laptop has windows xp media center version preinstalled) but I am not sure if I can fix it from that point.

I would like to at least be able to boot up the system so if I do have to do a clean install I can recover all the data files I want first.

Please help me slay this Blue screen of death monster! Thank you!

Advertisements