Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with java (i think...)

• Please log in to reply

caras

caras

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I hope this is the right forum to ask in.
Yesterday we started having problems..I think the problem is with java. We can't open a window within a window....for example my son uses Webkinz..if you go to their login in page, it has the main page..you click login and it opens a new window to login and thats the window you play in. Now when we click login nothing happens. The other times we noticed it is within facebook on some of their applications. One just won't load, the other loads, but its on farmville..you can use it, but can't click on anything that opens up a new window. for example you click a button for the market or you gifts, and it just won't open. On a lot of websites we go to now, and the bottom left hand corner on that peice of paper icon it has the yellow triangle to say theres an error. We tried deleting the last version of java and that didn't help. And we thought the problem might be with windows, but tried it in firefox and have the same problem.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
this is the error I got just now when trying to click on somehting to open in the farmville application was this:

Webpage error details

Line: 191
Char: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://apps.facebook...dex.php?ref=tab

Edited by caras, 16 November 2009 - 09:45 AM.

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
also just to add...since we deleted the last update of Java i've been trying to re download it from the site and it won't work...it just freezes up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Caras and welcome to GTG
First off just a FYI don't reply to your own post because anyone that could help will think you are getting assistance already and not look at your topic.
Next I will try to help with the Java issue. Please do the follwing steps and let me know if this helps.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
* Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
* Accept any prompts.
* Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
* Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
opps thanks, I'll remember that.

Okay, I removed the older versions, and went through to get the neswest update. Do I want the online and offline one? Thats what I clicked and put it to go to my c:/ directory, and clicked start and it says it failed to create file in destination directory. What do I do now?

Edited by caras, 16 November 2009 - 11:18 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try getting it HERE

Also do the following steps in order and post the requested logs when you have them completed.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I got it to work from what you originally told me.
And an in java downloader it says its downloaded..do I do anything else now? I checked the pages I had trouble with and its still not working.
I'll do the other thing you said now.

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
its not uploading the autoruns file...the green bar gets almost half way the quickly finishes and says done, but then it says theres nothing uploaded.

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
the everst one won't dl...i tried and nothing happens..when I click the link for if it doesn't start automatically still nothing happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm sounds like a problem with your browser then. Let's try this... what browser and version are you using?

Advertisements

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Browser? Like Internet Explorer? Sorry I'm not so great with computer terms. How do I see what version I have?

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I figured it out..I have IE 8

we have firefox as well though and had the same problem with those sites last night when we tried to use it instead of the ie.

Edited by caras, 16 November 2009 - 11:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You said last night... have you tried them today and if so is it the same?

caras

caras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes, I tried with both IE and Firefox today.
Could there be a virus or something causing problems? We use Kaspersky Internet Security.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very possible.
It may be worth a trip to the malware forum to have everything checked out. Start HERE and run all the requested logs. If after you have run them and you still are having issues then start a new topic HERE explaining the problem with a link to this topic so they can see what we have tried. Reply back here with a link to that topic and I will monitor it to se how everything is going and in case you need to return here this topic will remain open.