Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu zooms to 100% and stays there for some time

• Please log in to reply

Alfred Neumann

Alfred Neumann

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My CPU zooms up to 100% whenever I try to open a web page. The CPU stays at 100% for some time and my PC has become very slow. I've read how you have solved problems with the use of 'logs' etc, and wondered if there was a universal solution to this, or whether I need to have your expert hand-holding guidance. Would you be kind enough to advise? Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Alfred Neumann.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)
Logs don't fix the issue it is what we advise after looking through the logs. With that please follow all the instructions step by step and hopefully we can get this fixed for you in just a few posts. :) :)

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Alfred Neumann

Alfred Neumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks rshaffer61, I appreciate your quick response.

My delay in replying was because I have been busily following the advice given to me by another GeeksToGo contributor to follow through the process contained in the Malware & Spyware Cleaning Guide.

What should I do - continue with that advice or follow yours? Your earliest response would be very much appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go through the malware first.
I don't see any other post advising the malware route though :)

Alfred Neumann

Alfred Neumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
rschaffer61, I'll try your route!

Forgive my ignorance; where will I find the 'Autoruns Zip file' to extract its contents to a folder?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you downloaded the zip file then it will be where ever you have your downloads go to.

Alfred Neumann

Alfred Neumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It would have helped if I had read your instructions carefully in the first place! :)

Please find text file attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "CleverKeys.lnk"
+ "Microsoft Office.lnk"
+ "EPSON SX100 Series"
+ "McAfee QuickClean Imonitor"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Alfred Neumann

Alfred Neumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear rschaffer61

You appear to be a genius! :)

It seems to be working now - although should iexplore.exe appear TWICE in the 'Image Name' under the 'Processes' tab in my Windows Task Manager?

If not, how do I get rid of the second one (it appears to use a lot of memory without seeming to use any of the CPU). Currently one shows 59,408k of Memory Usage (and a % of CPU), and the other is showing 16,216 (but the % of CPU stays at zero)

I REALLY appreciate your help.

Thanks again! :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't believe it is a problem but just to make sure you don't have any type of infection I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken