Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have a Western Digital MyPassport 160 GB external drive. I have been using this drive for about a year. Last week, when I plugged it in, Windows said the drive was not formatted. I had a friend that was able to run some recovery program and get my data back, but now I am affraid to use this drive. Was this something that is a problem with the drive itself, or was it a software glitch? Should I still use this drive?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi Tyler5690

A lot of times they are glitches. Unfortunately they are glitches we do not like. I recommend (as well as others) multiple backups.

If the drive (also flash drives)are not disabled by "safely remove hardware", that will also create issues.

lets at least give the drive a check.
Download from my signature the WD diagnostics. I am away from my desk so I can't recall if WD has diagnostics that runs from windows. Normally you want to have exclusive access to the drive and boot from a iso CD (for the windows drive.
Since this is a external, if windows diagnostics is available, you will be fine.

Make sure you get the correct drive.

123runner

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I ran a complete scan using WD's Data LifeGuard, and it said the drive was fine. I had gotten in the bad habit of just yanking out the drive when I was done - guess I learned my lesson. So, in your opinion, should the drive be usable and safe?