Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors in hard drive

• Please log in to reply

trishh

trishh

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
My Dell Inspiron which has Windows Vista has recently been experiencing many BSOD's and I ran a diagnostics test by pressing F12 once the Dell logo appeared. The result was many beeping noises and it telling me i have the error code 2000-0146 which said that there were many errors with the hard drive.

Is there a way for me to fix my hard drive or should I buy a new one?

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the system boot into Vista?

trishh

trishh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No, it didnt boot in vista. I just bought a new hard drive to replace my damaged one. Thank you very much for your response!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions