Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 - Adobe Ext Mgr - Installed BUT NOT

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Using CNET Techtracker (any good ??), the scan says my installation of Adobe Extension Manager (AEM) is 'Out of Date' .... but it was never installed. Checked 'All Programs' - NOT THERE ... 'uninstall list' - NOT THERE EITHER.
Tried to install the latest (so I could uninstall the thing ... and also so the Techtracker would not 'see' it} and it said the install was successful BUT still can't find it AND Techtracker still says it's 'Out of Date'.

Explanation?

What to do? (Just ignore it?)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With repsect, you're not very clear. What are you trying to do exactly? Techtracker doesn't know everything about everything and looking at the website, if it's not on CNet, software updates are not flagged.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I was trying Techtracker and it reported that AEM was 'Out of Date'. Is this an error?

1) I had never installed AEM (at least not specifically - ie not knowingly). I did install Adobe Flash and Dreamweaver 8 and don't recall either saying anything about AEM.

2) I then 'upgraded' AEM from Techtracker - but it was still reported as being 'out of date.

3) I then upgraded/installed from the Adobe website - but it was still reported as being 'out of date.

4) AEM was never reported (by 'All Programs' or by Win 7 'uninstall') as being installed.

5) Is Techtracker in error?

6) Is AEM hidden? (Have folder set to display everything.

7) Is there a problem with Win 7 and Techtracker or 7 and AEM?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you've never used it or installed it, it can't be out of date. This add-on is typically installed in the default configuration for the installation of Adobe Reader from the website as opposed to downloading it manually. It's not critical and it's only used on that site.

To number 4, it won't. It will not appear on the Start Menu.

5) Probably.

6) No, it's a browser add-on. It's fine.

7) No. You'd have known about it long before now if there were incompatibilities.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Neil, thanks for the response !

I sort of jumped the gun .... read Techtracker caveats more closely (should have earlier) and see that they expect 'false positives' for some software.

Since AEM works with Dreamweaver 8 ... and since I'm having a problem FTPing to a Host site (for a website I maintain) after I installed DW8 on Win 7 - FTP'd with no problem on XP and I'm using the exact same connection parameters - I was concerned that AEM might have something to do with it BUT guess not. (Awaiting a response to FTP problem in the Adobe/DW community forum.)

Thank you again.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
issue solved