Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do i remove windows or not.

• Please log in to reply

jjmdos

jjmdos

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have the old hard drive from another computer, I was wanting to install on my computer that works. I have all the files that was inportant to me off, can I remove windows off(will it have more memory with out windows?) or will I have to leave it there. My current computer is getting full with music, movies, ect.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memory and hard drive space are two different issues you are describing.
It will add more hard drive space for sure.
You should format it and then you can use it for a storage drive for your music and movies if you would like. If you are not sure how to do this then just let me know and i will try to instruct you on how to do it. :)

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I can see that. Just though of something else, I do a mass amounts of burning would it be wiser to put all of that software on the hard drive. or format and put the movies and music on it.

Thanks for all of the help.

Edited by jjmdos, 18 November 2009 - 05:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The program itself should be on the main drive.
The data files should be on the second drive. When burning have the saved files go to the 2nd drive also. This will keep the main drive safe from filling up with all the data you are sure to ahve from burning.

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, thanks for the info, so how do I format the second hard drive.
I really appreciate the help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is installed and is seen by the first drive then what you do is go to
Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
Left window pane click on Disk Management
Right side window find the 2nd hardrive and Right click on the space
There should be Format as one of the options.
Make sure you are on the second drive for sure

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The hard drive is not installed, the working pc is asata and the old is ide. I have a adapter that i use. I did what you said. It shows a local disk G and local disk I. Do I need to format both. Thanks again for all the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only drive that needs to be formatted is the one you want to use as a backup or storage drive.
You have to have Windows on the main drive to run the system. Your last post suggests that your working system does not have a IDE controller on the motherboard. Are you sure of this because most motherboards have at least one IDE controller on it even if it is a SATA based motherboard.
Can you tell me what the make and model is on the motherboard so I can take a look at the layout?

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
it has a ide but when i tried to run the system it wanted to use the ide hard drive as the main, and said that it had to be registered or something like that. so i put the system back the way it was. since then i found out that there was a jumper. that was after i bought the usb adapter. The hard drive has a digram of where the jumper needs to be. i have not yet tried to connect it back to the mother board cause i have the adapter i would guess it would be best if it was installed in the case.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is working then it is better to just leave it alone. Don't fix what isn't broken

Advertisements

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
That is true. Thanks for all of the help that you have given me.I really apprecitate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the adapter or are you satisfied with it running the way it is now?

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I did the format like you said, transfered all the stuff to it. Works great with the adapter. I would just like the hard drive to be in the case, I have 4 kids and anything can happen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you checked the Bios to make sure the SATA drive is set as the first boot device? This could be the problem. By default a IDE drive usually will be the first boot device.

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No I havem't. How would I go about doing that.