Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer only starts in safe mode?

• Please log in to reply

jennybell

jennybell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all.

Got a weee bit of a problem with my computer today.
I understand this question may have been asked a hunderd times befoure, but I think the circumsttances relating to my problem will be different?

(I would just like to say sorry in advance, my spelling is not the best, and my online spell check wont work in safe mode :) )

Ok, The computer, it runs on windows XP (2003), its a Philips and it was made by Intel. It says iQon on the sticker if thats irelivent or not?
The problem...As of 9:30 this morning, it will only start on safe mode/networking.

It all started about 5 months ago. I needed to do a system restore (to get a silly password :) ). I went back to 2 months befoure. (ive done restore's in the past with out problems. started up, everything grand. well, kind off. I started to get an error message 1706"trayapp not found". it started up every single time i turend the pc on. It took nearly 100 clicks of the mouse to the exit button to close the application. It was verry anoying each time I turned on the pc. Verry soon after the pc started to become verrrrry slow. It got to the stage were i could only have one internet page open at any one time, and if i was using micro word, i would have to save it every 10-15 minutes and shut the programe down and restart as it would just keep freezing.
I surfed the net and found that the error was ocuring because of software from an old device that was once on my computer but was no longer there. when i did the system restore, the computer was looking for the sofware?.
The only device i could think of was a digital camra or..my old hp printer?
it sugested that i use the disks to uninstall the programs.
soo..last week, i tried the digital camra cd. uninstalled it, reinstald it, uninstalled it again...but the problem was still there.
cleaned up the computer, took a load of old photos, songs, old word docs that i didnt need, thinking it would help. done scans of all sorts. but the problem was still there.
last night, by pure fluke, i found the set up disk from the old printer. so, this morning, stuck it in and uninstalled the printer software. it prompted me to restart the computer...so i did.
and that ladys and gentalmen is were the problem started.
it would not start back up normaly. I tried the last known configuration that workd...nope. wouldnt start.
Only way the computer will start now is in safe mode or safe mode with networking.
I have gone threw all the steps in the malware page, even got the reports you sugested we keep, but i may as well b reading french because i havnt a clue what they mean.?

If any body out there has even the smallst bit of help,advice, information, sugestions..anything at all...I would be extreamly greatfull.
thanks
Jenny.

ps..i tried to do a system restore, but it wont let be go back any further?? its today or nothing?? :)

Edited by jennybell, 17 November 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Advertisements

jennybell

jennybell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
utility clean up rocks my world :)

this place is cool.

dont know how i did it or what i did..but back in normal working mode now :)

still got that dreaded error 1706 :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck the entry that says TrayApp
Click OK and the system should reboot. If not then reboot.
When the system comes back up there will be a notice about the System Configuration Utility
Look at the bottom left of the notice and you should see a little box that says something like Do not show or start up system configuration utility
Click that box and the notice should not pop up again on your next reboot.
Let me know if this fixes the TrayApp notice problem.