Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manually updating McAfee Virus Definitions (Internet Security 2009)

• Please log in to reply

RTolliver

RTolliver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys (girls),

New user here. I'm trying to find a bypass as to how to manually update McAfee Internet Security 2009. I have several computers at home that do not have internet access on the regular. Does anyone have any tips? I have the current definitions from McAfee that I can burn onto a disc, but every option I've exhausted doesn't work.

-Manually removed the previous .dat version, tried swapping in the new .dat from McAfee
-Tried using the super.dat install package you can use with the Corporate version
-Tried patching in the new w/ the current .dat file also, but no luck

Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the machines are not on the internet full stop, you don't need any anti-virus on them at all.
As and when they do go on the Internet, any decent anti-virus should automatically update on its own when an Internet connection is found. You shouldn't even need to be doing manual updates.

Anyway, McAfee's site specifically says, do not download <the updated defs> if you have an active subscription". The program handles these on its own.

RTolliver

RTolliver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's not what I asked, I asked if anyone had a work around. I am well aware of all the info you posted. Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like your trying to get around paying for McAfee except for 1 system and then use it on several systems...
this is against our TOU ...
if you do have paid subscriptions for the other systems, do as Neil Jones advised.. just connect them to the internet and the updates will be taken care of

RTolliver

RTolliver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm using a PAID version, which on the box says "Supports up to 3 PC's". If I'm using it on my 3 PCs, I'm not breaking any TOU. What I'm trying to accomplish is updating the virus definitions manually without having constant internet connection. Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try contacting McAfee support...explain what your trying to do and see if they have a workaround for you...

RTolliver

RTolliver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Already tried that option as well. They said only the enterprise version supports that. I joined this site in hopes that someone was in the same situation that could provide an answer. I'm not shelling out another 50$.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://www.mcafee.co...updates/dat.asp

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Use the XDAT compressed file. And did you close down the virus scanner completely before swapping the files? It won't recognize the new file if you don't. Many anti-malware programs have a built in security that stops the access or modification of such files, for obvious reasons. So if it, or any associated processes, are running, it won't accept the changes. I never used Mcafee, so this is only what I believe should work. The Xdat file has a built in installer, and nothing I read said that you had to have a commercial license. It's available on the same page as the virus definitions. The instructions on how to use it are in the readme.txt link just above the download button.

Edited by Jayman01, 01 December 2009 - 02:50 PM.