Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CRC errors, Random restarts and program crashes

• Please log in to reply

playsatan

playsatan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Right here goes,

Recently i have been having lots of crc errors whilst unzipping files. My initial thought was that one of my hard drives was on its way out. I had checked them all using the manufacturers diagnotic ultility (Seatools) with all testing features and each one, on all drives, returned without error.
I thought my suspicions were confirmed when i turned my drive on for the BIOS not to recognise one of my SATA's (a Barracuda 7200.11). After a bit of research i found out that this was prob not the cause of my crc errors as the SD15 version of the firmware supplied with my drive had a bug and causes the drive to go into a hibernated state, a separate issue i'm dealing with.

After removing this particular hard drive along with Vista out of my system i installed win XP onto another drive temporarily. I am having the same problems with the CRC errors on my other drives which seem to be operating normally. The kind of files i'm talking about are fairly large usually demos or trailers etc in .rar format.

As i understand it CRC errors can also come from faulty RAM. I have recently RMA'd some faulty RAM back to OCZ and the stuff in my system currently is the brand new RAM i got sent back from my RMA. I know this can be causing the CRC errors and occasional random restarts regardless of how new it is so i have checked both sticks individually using memtest86. I only had time to let them do 1 pass each but both came through error free.

If any of you out there have any suggestions for what else i can do to figure out what is wrong i would very much appreciate it. Could it be a lack of wattage on the psu causing the restarts and if this was a separate problem where are these crc errors coming from? Could it be the Processor? I'm stuck, please help

Sorry for the long winded explanation but i thought i'd try to get as much detail out there as possible

Sys spec:
ASUS P5KC
Intel Core 2 Duo (Q6600)
4gb (2x2gb) OCZ ReaperHPC 800
ATI Radeon 4870
Corsair 520W PSU
Win XP Pro SP3

Advertisements

playsatan

playsatan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Right, i'm starting to think this problem is due to one particular stick of RAM. I have swapped them over a couple of times and the random restarts of windows only seem to happen with a certain stick.
The system is under no load at the time of the crashes and with the other stick in the same ddr2 slot - there seems to be no problems.

I have tested the stick which i think is affected with memtest again and it has thrown up no errors though. Does anyone know of another way of testing my RAM module further?
Also is there any way of viewing the specific failure leading to the restart that might help??

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00000000, 0x89a77f60). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111709-08.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00000000, 0x89a68f60). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111709-09.dmp.

These are two entries in event viewer after the restarts as far as i can gather - do they mean anything to anyone?