Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why do people like FPS better on PC

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm a game junkie. I play everything from rpg, mmo, fighting, to fps. I don't get why people like fps so much better on pc, than on console. Moving with keys is so much more wonkey than an analog stick, and its way to easy to target enemies with a mouse. I play a lot of Call of Duty 4 before deployment. I can't imagine it without, my 360 controller, especially on hardcore mode. I've heard people say that it looks better on the pc, but I find that hard to believe since the next gen consoles are really just a pc box designed specifically for gaming. What's your opinions on this.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A true gaming PC will blow any console out of the water, but it will also kill your wallet. :)

I'm not a fan of violent games, so no FPS for me, but I really like car racing games. :) I have a 360 Controller for Windows as well, but I find I mostly don't use it anyway.

I guess it's just what you get used to as well, using the WASD keys in combination with a mouse can be pretty smooth and controlled.

vittorio

vittorio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I dunno, going from my xbox or ps3 on a 1080 p high def screen in full surround sound, to my nividia 9800 series through the same hdmi input to the same tv, doesnt look much different. Not to mention the games made for consolesthat are ported to PC always look way better than games that are designed directly for PC. Like you said a true gaming pc will kill your wallet, the problem is the games that you will play on it are still designed for the console, so your just wasting your pc's capacity, or if you play the Sims 3, it won't look much different from a FX to an Alien Ware, just because of the engine that the game is made on. Also, a 400$ xbox will run a game like need for speed to perfection, where as a 400$ computer, probably won't load the game at all. Thanks for the input though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
personally...i can't play FPS type games or anything massively twitchy on a console...i have to have a mouse to be able to aim and shoot...i have HUGE issues with "driving" my player and looking around/shooting when using the console controllers (of course...i can play the few FPS games designed for the wii...but that's because i can just point at the thing i want to shoot)...i end up getting slaughtered when i try to use the joysticks...this may be because i don't play console games that often and maybe if i played a little more i could get a bit more used to it...but i'm pretty sure it would always be an issue for me

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes that's true, monkeys aren't known for their 1337 gaming skillz.

Hevis

Hevis

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
well.. for me personally mouse and keyboard is a lot easier to use than a console controller, whether it would be a playstation or an xbox one. Its with any games, not just FPS.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I've grown up playing pc games since Doom. PC games is where the FPS was developed on and for. Doom,quake, Call of duty, Medal of Honor, and many more titles were released for the pc. FPS games for the console are a rather more recent development. I think in the last 10 years I have averaged about 400 hours a year playing games on the pc.

I think the ability to have our games professionaly hosted provides a place that is
1)always available
2)better network peformance (lower pings, up time, availability)
3)provides a static home for games, thus leading to the establishment of community
4) free content delivery by developer and community.

Consoles:
1)hosted experience provided by an individual.
2)either forced to autojoin game or limited to friends or autojoin
3)the hosts network connection determines the quality of game play experience
4)great for some instant action
5)great for causal gaming
6)limited by the console maker's decisions for content delivery and game play features / availability
free content for existing games
community driven free content and modes for existing games
charges you for downloads, content, and service delivery

I just wonder why the console players don't ask for more stuff. I don't play consoles because I'm not satisfied with the online gaming experience they deliver. Sure Microsoft has sone a lot of good with xbla, allowing easy entry point for new programers and developers. I just don't see why we can't have the best of both worlds for PC and Console. You've probably head the uproar over Modern Warfare 2. To the console gamer this isn't a big deal. However, to a pc gamer who has become accustomed to a high quality experince for online game play, free content, mods, and such it is a big disappointment. By waiting till nearly time of game release to notify us pc gamers of the changes they made was disheartening.

interested in what your thoughts are on these issues.

vittorio

vittorio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
that does make sense. i havent heard much about modern warfare, im stuck in iraq right now w/o my game systems.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My accuracy personally gets cut almost in half when trying to run, aim, strafe, and shoot with an analog stick. Driving, flying, or really any kind of vehicle operation is a little easier with a joystick/gamepad. I guess my biggest thing about using a mouse and keyboard over a console controller is the fact that my x and y axis go as fast or slow as i move my hand. I just don't have the agility to turn the sensativity way up and only press the analog stick to move at the same speed as you're running around me. my arm and wrist is a lot more stable than my thumbs. (insert immature joke here :) )

o, and good luck vittorio! come home safe! I've got 6 months of Balad fun ahead of me in the spring :)

Edited by AF_Money, 23 November 2009 - 08:18 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes. Please stay safe. We appreciate what your doing and want you to come home so you can game with the rest of us.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I like PC FPS games and have been playing them since the days of Doom.
In my opinion joypads lack the precision and sensitivity of a mouse and keyboard.
I also enjoy the PC multi-player scene much more than the XBox Live multi-player scene. I don't know what it is but I play online I get silly kids insulting each other over the microphones, I simply don't get that on the PC.

I would have purchased Modern Warfare 2 on PC but it's lacking dedicated servers and SDK support.

KRG Lightning 15

KRG Lightning 15

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

that does make sense. i havent heard much about modern warfare, im stuck in iraq right now w/o my game systems.

Ya a friend of mine who is in our clan is in Iraq....... he hates the fact that its so hot their. He also misses CoD2 but i hope he comes home in one peice... i talk to his lil bro allot he misses him.

As for FPS games im a CoD2 fan im not really into the blood and gore stuff.
(CoD5 has a option too reduce the settings from 17+ too 13+)
Ex gore,blood swearing. I have to reduce the setting when i play NaziZombies at 12:00 PM.

Kevinn

Kevinn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I think it's because PC is more convenient then most other consoles. Not everyone in the world has a PS3 or XBOX 360 and all the others, but.. Maybe 8 in every 10 person have owns a PC

MalwareBeGone

MalwareBeGone

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
360 Console vs a well made gaming PC

PC will win everytime. Processing is 100x better, along with the GFX card. I played CoD MW2 on Xbox at a friends place and I found it extremely hard. Its a lot harder then using a mouse.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*

I've grown up playing pc games since Doom. PC games is where the FPS was developed on and for. Doom,quake, Call of duty, Medal of Honor, and many more titles were released for the pc. FPS games for the console are a rather more recent development. I think in the last 10 years I have averaged about 400 hours a year playing games on the pc.

I think the ability to have our games professionaly hosted provides a place that is
1)always available
2)better network peformance (lower pings, up time, availability)
3)provides a static home for games, thus leading to the establishment of community
4) free content delivery by developer and community.

Consoles:
1)hosted experience provided by an individual.
2)either forced to autojoin game or limited to friends or autojoin
3)the hosts network connection determines the quality of game play experience
4)great for some instant action
5)great for causal gaming
6)limited by the console maker's decisions for content delivery and game play features / availability
free content for existing games
community driven free content and modes for existing games
charges you for downloads, content, and service delivery

I just wonder why the console players don't ask for more stuff. I don't play consoles because I'm not satisfied with the online gaming experience they deliver. Sure Microsoft has sone a lot of good with xbla, allowing easy entry point for new programers and developers. I just don't see why we can't have the best of both worlds for PC and Console. You've probably head the uproar over Modern Warfare 2. To the console gamer this isn't a big deal. However, to a pc gamer who has become accustomed to a high quality experince for online game play, free content, mods, and such it is a big disappointment. By waiting till nearly time of game release to notify us pc gamers of the changes they made was disheartening.

interested in what your thoughts are on these issues.

I completely agree with you.

I myself have also grown up with games like Doom (my first FPS :) ), Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor ....
Still playing FPS but other games as well.

This topic was about the same recently

>> http://www.geekstogo...ng-t256854.html

Console gamers might have a bigger community, but PC gamers can just do much more with their games.

:)