Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD no longer seen by windows XP

• Please log in to reply

DocShadow

DocShadow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
after a fresh XP load a few months ago, I have been doing all updates.
sometime in the last month, I go a update the made my DVD writer stop working, it shuts down after about 80 % of a burn.
I went to the Microsoft FixIt and it loaded a bunch of stuff on my machine and then said the DVD rom would not write and it was broke, I needed to get a new one.
I have a brand new one and it says the same thing. it's unable of writing and I should get a new one.

I found a post by microsoft that told me to delete filters in the registry and I did. now it says the DVD Roms are CD roms and it wont let me try and burn.

I know the DVD roms were working because I burnt a DVD in between these updates after several tries. at first I thought I had bad discs but I know now that is not the problem.

Should I f disk and start over. or can I delete all the service packs and updates? or can I try a system restore that never seems to work.

let me know what you need to know to help me.

thanks

DS

Advertisements

DocShadow

DocShadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
my system....it is what it is. sigh
hp dvd writer 840x
lite-on dvdrw shw 160p6s

windows XP
professional
version 2002
service pack 3
AMD athlon 64 processor
3500+
2.2 GHz 448 MB of RAM

Microsoft net framework 1.1
'' '' '' 2.0 service pack 2
'' '' '' 3.0 service pack 2
'' '' '' 3.5 sp1

DocShadow

DocShadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK, thanks for all the help. :)
I guess I must have placed this in the wrong section of something.