Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,
I need a new video card. It can be a single, Dual or even SLI. Considering my CPU and PSU, which would be the best way to go? I would even consider going ATI. Rig specs are in my profile.
Thanks

Edited by Bushisland, 17 November 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:)+-->
QUOTE (His specs he is too slack to copy/paste :))
System (optional): My Rig:
CoolerMaster Cosmos S Tower
8-120mm fans, 1-200mm side fan
Evga 750i SLI FTW
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 45nm (OC 3.2GHZ)
Thermalright Ultima 90 with 2-92mm fans (push/pull)
XFX Geforce 9800GTX
Mushkin XP PC-2-8000 RedLine 8GB (4x2GB) DD2-1000 5-5-5-12
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 2x500GB (Raid0)
Silverstone Strider 750W Modular SLI ready
Windows 7 64-bit[/quote]

If the 9800GTX is dead, how much do you want to spend?

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi Troy,
It's not dead. Works just fine. I Just think it is time for something new. About $300.00 Can.

Edited by Bushisland, 19 November 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
For $300 Canadian, you could get a Radeon HD 5850, but I don't know if the performance increase would really be worth your money. As your motherboard supports SLI (and also the PSU), I would just throw in a second 9800GTX and run them in SLI.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi Troy,
First, Sorry about not copy/paste my sigs in that post.
Actually I was thinking of the XFX 5870 1GB Mem GPU. Iknow it over the $300.00 limit I gave you. It is $439.00 right now. I can wait for it to drop in price. This would be better than 2x9800gtx in SLI, wouldn't it? :)

Edited by Bushisland, 20 November 2009 - 08:57 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't know to be honest, probably not for the money it would cost. I'd need to look it up some more and get back to you on that one.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I don't know to be honest, probably not for the money it would cost. I'd need to look it up some more and get back to you on that one.

OK Troy. I can wait. Thanks :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've just done some quick reading up on it, I would say to go for the two 9800GTX cards in SLI, however do a bit of research yourself on it as well and see what articles and information you can find as well. :)

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I've just done some quick reading up on it, I would say to go for the two 9800GTX cards in SLI, however do a bit of research yourself on it as well and see what articles and information you can find as well. :)

I wouldn't let you have all the fun. I have been doing some reading as well, but I haven't come to a conclusion yet. If anyone else has a opinion, please jump in. Remember the card I have is not the (+) one. Thanks and special Thanks to Troy.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Bushisland,

You have a pretty nice system. I don't think the cost of a 5000 Series ATI Card is really going to make that drastic of improvements. I use a 9600GT (slower than your 9800) and I play Crysis on high settings with no AA. Furthermore, your processor isn't quite as "fast" as mine, but with that said, your processor is very nice and it is not holding back your GPU (graphics card).

I think you would be extremely happy with the cost/performance ratio with a 4870... like this one... Saphire VaporX 1GB 4870 which Newegg so happens to be out of stock. Here is one at Tiger Direct

Just a thought... :)

P.S. VaporX technology is pretty nice as well... runs quieter and cooler than most standard cards.

Advertisements

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks for replying. What about the XFX 4890? I know the 4870 is a good card. Do you prefer Sapphire over XFX? You didn't mention going SLI with another 9800GTX

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I don't have enough experience to say whether XFX is better than Saphire or not. But in general, the 4890 is better than the 4870, the higher the number the better...

Also, from what I was always taught it is better to have 1 high end card, than 2 middle grade cards in SLI. One thing you could do is look at benchmark results by searching on Google, Tomshardware.com and/or Youtube to see what results are produced from 9800GTX in SLI vs. single cards like the 4870 or 5000 Series.

When going with some of these high end cards, you're only going to get maybe 3-4 FPS(frames per second) better. A lot of enthusiasts (me included) are willing to pay that extra dollar amount on hardware for just that little increase in performance... but don't be fooled, it's not like you are going to notice an UNBELIEVABLE or AMAZING performance by going with a 5000 Series over a 4870. Same with a 4870 vs. 4890.

Gamers and Enthusiasts can get pretty carried away with "how awesome and better" certain new hardware is. Like I said earlier, my 9600GT (considered to be middle grade) plays Crysis (one of the most demanding games there is) on all high settings.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks Ferrari for your reply.I also do not believe one brand has it over the other. They all have their +&-. I agree in general that the one card system is better than two. Sometimes a higher end card does not preform much better that it's predecessor. I have Crysis and Crysis Warhead; which I consider the best all around of the two. I am not in a big hurray as the 300 series will be soon coming out, then I'm sure the other cards will drop in price. I want to get the side window for my Cosmos S(As You Have), but I have read so many horrible stories about the packaging. I can get it from Newegg here, but I don't know whether to take the chance. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Bushisland, 23 November 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ferrari,
I spent some time looking at your reviews. I just want to say, nice ideas and very good workmanship. I was impressed. :)
bushisland

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

Just thought to share my opinion since I'll be buying a video card soon.Right now best buy would be ATI 5850 performances are very nice better than Nvidia 285 and it has DX11, it's way less power hungry then ATI 5870 and right now ATI 5850 would be best choice but I'll be waiting for new Nvidia 300 series.New Nvidia should be out in Feb. next year I think and than we'll see comparision between ATI and Nvidia.
I was thinking of buying ATI 5850 but I change my mind and decide to wait a little longer for Nvidia.
Btw your card XFX Geforce 9800GTX is still good for playing all new games mostly on High details and some on Middle, overall you are able to play all new games without a problem.