Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp suddenly turned off and won't turn back on

• Please log in to reply

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Intel® Desktop Board D945GTP
XP, 2G ram, 500GB, ATI X550

I was using my computer earlier today when it suddenly shut off, no warrnings, no beeps, nothing. I tried to turn it back on after 20 mins, and it didn't. I left it until I got home tonight, and still it will not turn on. The motherboard light by the power connection is on, and when I hit the power button you can hear the "electrical sounds" of it powering up, fans both move about a mm, lights around the power button flicker once, and nothing happens. Just woundering anyway to tell what could be the main cause. I do clean it about once a month, room is not hot, plenty of circulation, power cord is fine so is outlet (TV workin fine, Surge protector). I tried a different fan for the processor (it only has red/black wires no brown). Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Since you've switched the CPU fan, I assume you've had the computer unplugged from power for a few minutes, right? If not, give this a shot before concluding either a bad power supply or motherboard.

If you have a power supply handy, that's easier to check first, of course. I have to say, though, this doesn't sound good.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the reply,

Yes I had the power unplugged from the back of the power supply for a couple hours. If I leave it unplugged and then attach it and push the power button, it will only make the sounds and move the fan once. It will not do anything if I push the power button again. I will also leave it plugged in for 10 mins and then hit the power button and it will do the same thing. I do not have an extra power supply, unless of course I take it from this computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a MOBO problem.
The signs you are describing indicate the motherboard has failed or a failing PSU.
How old is the system and is there any warranty on it?

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The computer is now 3 years old, and no warranty. I tried using the PSU(mine) in this computer and it did turn on and work, I then turned off the computer, but the screen didn't go to the normal XP "shutting down" screen, it stayed at the desktop and then shut right off, then the PSU(mine)started to power for a second. I tried to turn the computer back on, and it would not turn on. I reconnected the PSU(other) that's in this computer and it's working fine, it shut down normally. I also connected the processor fan(mine) to this computer and it worked fine. The way this computer acted with my PSU has confused me more, guess I ought to take this PSU(other) and put it in my computer and see what happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be careful because if the PSU is faulty it could cause damage to your system.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't think the PSU(other) was the right one to try with my comp. My comp has the reg 20 pin connection with 4 extra pin connect, and the PSU(other) I tried only has the 20 pin connect, no extra 4. The comp did nothing with this PSU(other), fan didn't budge, no noise, or light flicker. Just the little light on the mother board to show power. PSU I used is for a Pentium 4, and my PSU is for P4/P5 (Core 2 Duo) if that helps to make it clearer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like it is not going to work then. Just from the system booting with your newer PSU connected tells me the PSU from the system is the culprit.
If I am reading your post correctly your psu in the system that turned off worked. Is that correct?

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply, I had to go to work. I went to a computer shop and talked to the tech about my problems, and what I tried. He told me (which I figured) that a 20 pin PSU cannot be used on a 24 pin motherboard, unless you have an adapter. Which he lent me for the night. I had taken a PSU(working computer) put the adapter on it, and plugged it into my comp(not working). I hit the power and it turned on. So there's the answer, PSU = problem. Then I wounder why the monitor isn't on, and I saw that I forgot to connect one of the cords to the motherboard. So I powered of the computer connected the cord and NOTHING..... Same thing I described at the start. The cord is 4 pin (Square), that plugs in near the ports. It's 2 black and 2 brown cords. So I guess my motherboard is fried back there. If there's anyway to fix it without a new MOBO, that would be great, but if not, I'll get a new one. Thanks alot for your all your help and time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get pics of everything and attach them to your next post? I don't think it is going to be able to fix but I would like to look at it before saying for sure.

Advertisements

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry it took so long, no digi camera. The pics aren't of it all installed just of the problem area, and the cord that connects to it. In a diagram I looked at for my MOBO it said that it is my "+12V power connector (ATX12V)" Hopefully the pics are enough for you, if not I'll take more.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPEG
  • 3.JPEG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So with the plug connected to the 4 pin nothing boots?
Without the plug everything boots?
Or is it the other way around?
When the power did work was that fan on the CPU turning?

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No your correct,
4 pin connect - no boot
not connect - boot, no monitor
and yes when the comp booted the fan was on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok it sounds like you are dead on with your diagnostics. The good news is that the new PSU's have a 20-4 pin configuration so if the 4 pin is not needed then you should be ok. It does sound however that there could be a short on that connector on the motherboard. This is not good as it could signal a problem in the future.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
From what I've gathered from googling, "+12V power connector (ATX12V) D945GTP motherboard" is that the 4 pin connection is to help power my duo processors. It does say that lower pentiums 3 and under do not require this connection, because they are not powerful enough to need it. I'm not sure what my processors are but they probably equal a pentium 4. So I think it's safe to say I need it. I'll see what the tech at the comp shop says to this problem and report back any other idea's or problems it could be. Thanks alot again for your help.