Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning wireless router installation

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I currently have a desktop running XP and want to allow a laptop to use my internet connection through a wireless router. I read through the entire "Wireless Home Network Setup", but there's several things I'm unclear about.

1. I have VOIP service and therefore, my modem does not plug into my desktop--it plugs into a telephone adaptor which then plugs into my desktop. Should my new wireless router be cabled between the modem and the telephone adaptor or between the telephone adaptor and my desktop?

2. I believe the telephone adaptor has a basic built-in router (it's made by Linksys). As such, are there any ramifications or changes to the standard wireless network setup I need to be aware of?

3. Just to be sure, my desktop need not be up and running in order for the laptop to access the internet, true?

4. My daughter will be picking up her laptop tomorrow. Do they generally come equipped with a wireless network card? How can I determine if it has one?

5. Do I need to do anything with my AVG Free Edition software?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 18 November 2009 - 11:07 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Depends, some routers do have built-in VOIP sockets, others don't (connecting to the PC) and therefore they'll use your internet connection as would any other traffic.

2) No.

3) Correct.

4) Most laptops made in the last five years have built-in wireless. If not, they can be added separately later for pretty much next to nothing.

5) No.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Thanks muchly, Neil.

I've developed more questions:

a) Why do the wireless setup instructions call for so many of my Internet settings to be set back to defaults? It's taken me years to make the various customizations. For instance, I have a slew of trusted sites. Also, I have changed settings where it was necessary for certain functions to work on certain websites.

b) I mostly use Firefox. How does a) above affect those settings? Or am I expected to "translate" the defaults of I.E. and apply them to FireFox?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Please disregard previous post (except for the thank-you part). My new Linksys router came with software that guided me through step-by-step hardware installation (no shutdown or power down required) and did all the configuring for me! It was even intelligent enough to detect the router in my telephone adaptor and asked me if I planned to replace it or use the new router in conjunction with it. No having to futz with Windows settings, no having to manually log into the router and manually edit stuff. All technology should be so easy.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 18 November 2009 - 10:51 PM.