Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard etc - old h/drives

• Please log in to reply

george01

george01

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
What I am proposing to do is:

1. Build a new PC (everything except the H/Drives).
2. Install old h/drives loaded with windows XP Pro (h/d drive is partioned).
3. Install Windows 7 on the h/drive free partioned space so I end up with both XP and W7.

Is it worth me doing this or just running W7 Pro on the new pc. (includes XP compatability).

The reason I am stuck is: I have a lot of files and need a way of getting them onto the new op system (cannot make back ups onto CD's as there is too much.

Appreiate any advice that you can give or if anyone has done this before.

Thanks

George

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
hi george01

Your plan sounds simple enough, but it is a recipe for disaster.
If you expect your existing hard drive to work in a new computer with a new motherboard, you are asking for a miracle.

1. The drivers installed on the hard drive are different that the drivers on the new main board. You will be lucky to get it to boot up.
2. I would never do that much work without a backup on all of my data. You should have a backup anyways. New hard drives in USB enclosures are very inexpensive these days.

The best course of action is to back up the data, build your computer and start fresh with a clean XP install getting it fully operational. Then install your windows 7.

I would also check compatibility for your peripheral devices with w7.

123runner

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi George.
My salution on a new build was to instal 2 new hard drives. partition both, instal XP on the first drive, Windows 7 on the second. Buy a encloser and instal my old drive in it. You are than able to transfer all the date you need to your new build, format the drive and use it for backups. Image of both drives and data.

iammykyl.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks for both replies, I will take on board all said. At present I have all my files backed onto an external and internal(back up) drive, so I presume I can keep that as it is, build the new PC then download from the external or my internal?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sounds a good plan. Good luck with the build.

iammykyl.