Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dimension 8400 freezes after boot

• Please log in to reply

daddynuz

daddynuz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll try to give as much information as I can:
I recently had a power problem at my house and house voltage was dropping to as low as 94 volts AC at times.
power problem has been fixed now I have this issue with my dimension 8400. If I boot normally the pc seems to have completely booted as soon as I try to open any thing, from the start menu or quick launch I hear an internal beep from the CPU and it freezes now sometimes the usb mouse freezes too and sometimes it does not. I am able to start in safe mode & sahe w/ networking I did try this and then restarting normal but same problem in any mode but safe. also a month ago long before this happened I di replace the power supply and motherboard battery ( so I doubt that is the culprit) but pc was working fine till the AC power issue. My immediate response is to replace power supply. I have tested the power supply and all output voltages are proper. I thank all in advance for your ideas.

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
The problem never occurs in Safe Mode?

daddynuz

daddynuz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no I have started it in both safe mode and safe mode w/ networking..

but none of it happens when I boot normal mode and boot logging and debugging modes