Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Net Nanny Problems

• Please log in to reply

ginrella

ginrella

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello,

I recently cleaned out my tower, physically. Since then, when I start up the computer, when it gets to loading up Net Nanny 5 it says Configuring Net Nanny then an window pops up saying NNSVC - Service could not be deleted. I then have to do a CTL Alt Del to end NNSVC which says running and Net nanny configuration which says not responding. I figured at this point the best thing to do was to uninstall it and reinstall it fresh. However, when I go to the uninstall program, it loads up and stays on 0% and never moves....

Any ideas?

Thanks so much
Ginny

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to go through Add\Remove programs?
Have you tried to uninstall it in Safe Mode?
If the above doesn't work then
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

ginrella

ginrella

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I tried the revo installer, and I got the same results. It asks for my admins password for netnanny, then it again goes to a 0% window and never moves.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the other two suggestions?
Another option is to reinstall the program right over the top of itself and then try to uninstall.
Also since this is starting up on bootup you may want to stop it from autorunning. To do this

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Uncheck any entries that have to do with NetNanny
Click OK
The system should reboot now. When it boots up you will see the System Configuration Utilitywarning window pop up. On the bottom left side you should see a little box that says[/b]Don not show or start this utility[/b]. Click the box and the warning will not show up again.
Let me know if any of these suggestions help.

ginrella

ginrella

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I cannot reinstall over the old one. I have tried that. I put the disk in and it tells me that I already have a version installed and have to uninstall the other one first.

As far as doing it in Safemode...I do not know how to do that.

Do u know what it is referencing when it says NNSVC service could not be deleted?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This tells me the service is running and it can't delete it since it is running.
If you follow the instruction about msconfig you should be able to turn off everything with NetNanny so that you should not get the error message then.