Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive full

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You can not combine the C and D drives. They are 2 separate physical drives.

The one drive has the C and E partition and is full.
The D drive is your other 250gb drive. It is empty.

If you want to take data/pictures/movies/files, etc from C to D then you need to copy them there.
I gave you a link to basic copy and paste instructions in post 4.

When you download and want to save to the D drive OR you want to save other items to the D drive you basicly do a "save as" and point to the D drive.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do the following:
1. Click Start then click Run. Then type compmgmt.msc in the Open box and then click Enter.
2. In the left pane, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the Partition or Volume that you want to mount, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Click Add.
5. Click Mount in the following empty NTFS folder (if it is not already selected), and then use one of the following steps:
Type the path to an empty folder on an NTFS volume, and then click OK.
Click Browse then locate the empty NTFS folder, click OK, and then click OK.
If you have not yet created an empty folder, click Browse, click New Folder to create an empty folder on an NTFS volume, type a name for the new folder, click OK, and then click OK.
Quit the Disk Management snap-in.

Of this sounds to complicated then all you have to do is to make sure the D drive has a partition (Which it already has) and it is formatted (Which it is) and then just move files from the C to the D drive.
When you want to save files save them to the D drive then. If you run out of room on your C drive the system will probably cease to function correctly before this happens.

Mike4C

Mike4C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I thought I would have to prepare the drive in some way.Thank you so much I think I got it now. Mike

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let us know how it works as we always like to know good or bad how everything turns out. It may help someone later who has the same issue. :) :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future..
how to move my music.. pictures..and your documents etc to a separate partition or drive....

The easiest way I found was to have the whole My Documents redirected on another partition or drive ...
just redirect the whole folder. Then one pass will move all your data to the 2nd drive or partition. Plus if you ever have to reload your OS you won't have to reinstall your data.. it is just one less thing to do.

Here is how to redirect the whole My Documents folder...

Click Start.. right click ...My Documents.. and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab...
In the Target box..

Type the path to the folder location that you want.. and then click OK.
For example.. D:\My Stuff.
If the folder does not exist.. the Create Message dialog box is displayed.

Click Yes to create the folder.. and then click OK.

this will move ALL the folders and sub folders to the partition or drive you designated...
and anything you save in the future will go there as well ...saving you from having to drag and drop or cut and paste files in the future...
after moving all the data defrag the OS drive (C:)to get some speed back

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
And that is the easiest way Happyrock has suggested. :) :)

dynocompe

dynocompe

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
removed inappropriate comment

Mike4C

Mike4C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just wanted to thank you guys again. I moved My pictures to the D drive,over 50 GB's that should hold me for a while.Mike

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Please let us know if there is anything else you need assistance with.