Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Endless BSOD's and freezes Windows 7 64bit

• Please log in to reply

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Believe me, I know it can be frustrating.

I hope these solutions come to fruition. :)

~os

Advertisements

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Still crashing, win32k.sys this time.. arghh :)

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Klaus,

Darn.

A. When you said you updated all drivers, does that include BIOS and Chipset specifically?

B. Do you have any DivX video codecs installed? If so, please uninstall them completely.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 20 November 2009 - 11:53 AM.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I updated chipset drivers, all that this program would let me (it checks them) and i even manually updated my BIOS

I dont think i have any divx codecs, only codecs such as lame mp3 and such.. and whatever comes with VLC.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
dxgkrnl.sys is the latest error reported...

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Klaus,

Please try booting your PC in Safe Mode and then running it that way for a while to see if the error persists there.

1. Reboot your computer.
2. As the computer boots, press F8 repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
3. Select Safe Mode from this menu.
4. Log on with your profile and use Safe Mode for a while.

NOTE: You probably know this, but you will not be able to use any internet or networking functionality within this mode. This might be boring, but if we can narrow this down this way, we'll then proceed to Safe Mode with Networking next to see if it spawns the issue there. If the problem persists in Safe Mode then it greatly limits the possible causes.

I hope we can work this out soon. I'm doing my best. :)

~os

Edited by othersteve, 20 November 2009 - 09:41 PM.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I ran my PC without internet all day today and it seemed okay, and whenever i try safe mode it doesnt falter, even in networking mode which doesnt work for the internet anyway for some reason.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Klaus,

Okay, now I'm starting to wonder about the drivers again. If you used a program to update them, those are sometimes known to be unreliable. We might investigate this further going forward.

You might want to first ensure that the chipset drivers you installed are designed for your PC. Believe it or not, it is in fact possible to install the wrong ones. That would create all sorts of problems similar to these.

The BIOS ought to be fine.

As for the networking situation, so it only seems to occur when you're accessing the internet? Now we're onto something if so. I would definitely double-check those chipset drivers before we go further, especially if you have an integrated ethernet adapter that you use to connect to the internet.

After that, please ensure you have the latest correct driver for your ethernet adapter. If you need help with any of thus, just provide me with your specs and I can take it from there.

~os

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Okay, well my motherboard is the P31-Neo
I checked their site and used the links to update the HD audio and ethernet adaptor which i do use, so im not sure.. could be wrong?
It might be worth buying a seperate ethernet slot to see if thats any better?
Tis very strange, ive never experienced this before. Thank yo so much for your continued efforts.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Klaus,

I'm genuinely happy to help.

Yes, I would think those drivers are fine if they came from the board manufacturer's site. Do you mean that your original driver updates came from that site, or did you just now update again?

If the problem only occurs with network access we have to investigate other possible causes as well.

I would say next to remove ALL security software, including anything that's not scanning in real-time but includes an optional real-time component. You can leave Malwarebytes as it doesn't really count in that regard.

Have you ever had Norton or McAfee installed on the machine? What other security software have you used in the past? I ask because it could have left behind something which is interfering with your current software configuration.

Definitely nuke AVG and try surfing some safe sites for a bit (like this one for instance). See if it makes a difference. There is always the possibility with such software that it simply isn't functioning correctly (NDIS and similar components can generate such errors I believe). We just need to be sure that we get something reinstalled for your safety before you go browsing anywhere else or fooling around with email again. :)

~os

Advertisements

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It was a new install on a new drive so no other security software other than AVG. So I will remove it now.
Want any more minidumps?

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
LOL, no thanks, I think I have all I need for now of those. :)

Let me know how things go after you get AVG removed and fool around for a bit.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 21 November 2009 - 05:08 PM.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It has crashed twice today, not as much but still. Hmmm

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Klaus,

So--

If you're still receiving the crashes with AVG removed, have you noticed that it is primarily when you are using the network/internet in some way? If so, we can still suspect those components. If NOT, we may in fact have an undetected memory problem. Or, possibly, since things seem to work better in Safe Mode, a file system driver causing an issue.

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this previously, but we might want to ensure you do not have some sort of infection on this machine as well. They can cause a full range of issues, including this sort of behavior.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 22 November 2009 - 12:00 PM.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have ran AVG, malware bytes etc etc, nothing wrong with my system

ntfs.sys crashes today and the win32 one
It really is out of the blue, can work for hours, sometimes minutes. And the networking hardware worked fine under XP, my board is fairly old by tech standard (2007) but still..