Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES

• Please log in to reply

TerrieA

TerrieA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My DVD/CD player on my laptop quit working. When I update the driver the system comes back and tells me that it has the most current driver but when I go to the properties of the dvd/cd, it tells me that windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code39).. I have looked on the hp site for a solution and can't find any drivers or firmware(and what is firmware anyway)? Please help !! I don't know 1/2 of what I am doing to begin with and am just really frustrated. Terrie :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello TerrieA...

It sounds as though something has set filters on the drive. Does the show in the "Computer" window (Start orb > Computer)?

If it doesn't, click the start orb again and type regedit in the search field..the click the "regedit.exe" link that appears at the top of the search results.

In Registry Editor, in the left pane, expand (click the little triangle) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found a response in another post from rshaffer61 and I followed his advice about installing a file called cdgone.com . It worked and I see my cd drive in My Computer. 'Thank you very much for your help'. I have come here twice and had very positive experiences both times. Hats off to geeks to go.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Part of what the cdgone fix does is remove any filters that are set on the optical drives.

Glad you got the issue sorted... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
:)