Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU reaching 100 when viewing Flash videos (on the net)), when install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rgbdesign

rgbdesign

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

When viewing flash videos (i.e YouTube, BBCiPlayer etc), the video playback is extremely 'jerky' on and off, every 10 seconds or so. The audio seems fine, but the video plays 1 frame every 3 or 4 seconds. After 10 seconds, however, the video speeds through at about 5x the standard frame rate until it 'catches up with itself'. Then the process repeats.

I have noticed on the BBCiPlayer, this only occurs when the video is larger than the standard 'windowed' video (full screen). On YouTube, however it is constant at any size...jerky video, fine audio.

This also happens when playing flash games, or even animated flash banners on websites. To overcome this issue, I downloaded FlashBlocker for Firefox. While this helps with standard browsing, I am, obviously, limiting my internet use - certain sites are flash only; I cannot visit these.

During these 'jerky' videos, I have noticed that my CPU jumps to 100. The process in use, with the highest CPU usage is Firefox. I have tried with other browsers (IE7, Google Chrome) and the issue remains, but mentions the browser in use, in place of Firefox.

I have followed the Malware Removal Guide on this website, and the problem still remains. Could I have a virus? Trojan? Malware? If so, I cannot seem to shift it.

The same problem, CPU usage reaching 100, is also prevelent when transferring data to an external hard drive, when viewing the TV through my Hauppage TV Card and when installing new programs.

My computer's spec can be seen in my profile, if that is of use. It isn't an awful spec - Dual Core processor. This shouldn't be happening.

I would love to finally resolve this problem, so any help would be excellent.

I have attached a screen shot of my CPU usage graph after 5 mins of watching BBCiPlayer. The pattern is the same for all Flash files, games, transfers etc.

Thank you,

Ryan

CPUUSAGE.JPG

Advertisements

rgbdesign

rgbdesign

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
removed logs

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Your problem is malware related, you have a topic open in the Virus Removal forum, which is the right place for it

Have some more patience please