Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

0x24 stop error: followed steps, possibly reformat?

• Please log in to reply

chapel

chapel

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

I've recently come across a problem with my computer where I'm getting a 0x24 stop error every time I boot. It happened while I was online (not on a shady website) and all of a sudden I was bombarded by a.exe (and maybe lsass.exe) files, in command prompt windows, flooding the screen. Pretty sure that it was a virus, I quickly rebooted my computer in hopes of going into safe mode and taking care of the issue. Well when I rebooted I got as far as the Windows XP loading screen and then a quick BSOD flash and a reset. I can't access safe mode because it locks up while loading drivers so I can't check the event viewer logs to see what went wrong where. I can't get in to uninstall my virus protection (I have AVG on all the time but I also have SuperAntispyware and MalwareBytes installed but not active). The Last known working setting option reboots the same way as a normal windows load goes. I used Chkdsk and /r to fix the drive and that didn't help. I'm thinking that my last resort is to reformat which would be a major headache. I pulled my important files off using an external HDD and Knoppix so if I have to reformat I will do so. Also, I received the computer as a gift and it was bought at a Staples so there is no windows XP disk. I made backup disks (DVDs) when I first got it and there is a mysterious unmarked disk in the bag of stuff that came with the computer that I have yet to see the contents of it. Can I reformat with any of this? On top of all of this I have a term paper due this Friday that I have yet to edit so I'm in a real rush to fix this. I'd appreciate any helpful advice anyone can give and let me know if I forgot some important details.

Thanks!

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey chapel,

Chkdsk /r was being run from the recovery console I presume then?

You definitely are infected, but I'm sure you know that. a.exe is a malicious exe and the associated infection is pretty nasty at times, so as soon as we get you up and running (if we can), we need to get you over to the Virus, Spyware, and Trojan removal forum.

You have another option before we attempt the next steps. If you want to burn a boot "recovery" CD such as this one to a disc via another PC, you can run a full offline scan by booting to it from the affected PC and it may in fact remove the malicious driver and system hook, allowing a boot subsequently, at which point you can continue disinfection via the experts on the malware removal forum here.

I would try that first. But if that does not work, if you can get to recovery console, please let me know so that we can check a few items and then try and repair the system files. 0x24 typically denotes an ntfs.sys file system corruption, but in the event of an infection, it can be the cause of the malware hooking the system and generating the crash.

If we can get into recovery console, we need to evaluate which services are running, disable any that seem suspect, and then initiate a system file repair. From there, if you're then able to boot, you will need to head over to the malware forum for disinfection by an expert.

Please let me know when you return.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 19 November 2009 - 07:45 AM.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I did scan the HDD by taking it out and puting it into another working computer and used AVG and SuperAntiSpyware (Malwarebytes kept closing down everytime I would open it)with current updates. If you think I need to make this live CD anyways I'll do that. Also, yes I can get into the recovery console.