Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive noise

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello, I just replaced my Hard Drive today to this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136319
According to the review, the Hard Drive is quiet but when I'm using it, I don't know why but it sounds like 1995-1997 Hard Drive that has a noise TRRR..TRRR.TRRR when loading and even on idle. I don't know how to say it but it's making the sound that is very similar to legacy hard drive. Is it supposed to sound like that? if not then darnit...need to RMA this product for more shipping cost.....

Edited by Axelion, 19 November 2009 - 02:30 AM.

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
it maybe faulty ....
i would not expect to hear any noise from a harddrive - I recently had a 1TB USB drive from amazon and whist copying data every now and then i heard a clicking - that also continued when the drive was just left on - so i RMA and the new one (same model) is silent...

So my view would be RMA

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Axelion

Sounds like you have a bad drive. The most noise you will generally here is when it gets accessed.

Before you send it back, run the Western digital diagnostics found HERE
That will give you a better idea of what is going on.

123runner

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I ran the diagnostic and found nothing wrong....arghhh stupid hard drive now is more expensive by me paying the shipping fee...wait newegg HAS TO PAY FOR IT!

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Okay, I just received a replacement today. But... so disappointing....how come the clicking loading noise still present???
I opened the case and touch the HD while it's loading...I can feel that the core is rumbling....
Is this normal?? Ohh god....shouldn't have chosen this stupid drilling hard drive if it is that kind of drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure it is the Hard drive?
Disconnect power from the hard drive and start the system. Is the clicking sound still happening?

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Are you sure it is the Hard drive?
Disconnect power from the hard drive and start the system. Is the clicking sound still happening?

Yes, the clicking sound still happening.
So here I recorded the loading noise of my hard drive.
Please tell me if it's normal or not.
http://ifile.it/fpr56ld
my recorder is sucks so try to increase the volume or max it.

Edited by Axelion, 30 November 2009 - 11:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uh , if the hd is disconnected from power then the sound is not from the hd. The hd cannot make a noise if it is not powered. There would be no moving components to make any noise.
I listened to the file a couple of times and other then at the beginning and the very last split sec at the end I heard nothing but a humming.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Uh , if the hd is disconnected from power then the sound is not from the hd. The hd cannot make a noise if it is not powered. There would be no moving components to make any noise.
I listened to the file a couple of times and other then at the beginning and the very last split sec at the end I heard nothing but a humming.

My mistake.... I mean I disconnected the power and no clicking noise was being produced.
Have you maxed your sound volume? I used my mp3 player for recording and it didn't pick up the clicking sound very well.
I can hear the clicking by maxing my volume out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have a 5.1 surround sound system and yes I turned it all the way up. What I heard is a slight noise at the beginning and at the very end that in truth sounded more like the movement of the recording device then the hd.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
duplicate post

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
repeat post

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
The slight noises were my finger pressing the recording button. You should be able to hear TRRRR sound besides the humming sound.

Edited by Axelion, 01 December 2009 - 02:52 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mo I don't hear anything else. If you could get a better recording then maybe but based on what I have listened to I would say the drive sounds normal. A spin up or slow down is normal on almost any drive. It happens when the drive is accessed and then when it is not the drive slows down.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Mo I don't hear anything else. If you could get a better recording then maybe but based on what I have listened to I would say the drive sounds normal. A spin up or slow down is normal on almost any drive. It happens when the drive is accessed and then when it is not the drive slows down.

Okay then I will just keep this hard drive. I'm so tired to RMA back and forth again...