Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing Windows 2000 Pro Stuck in Setup loop

• Please log in to reply

arachnae

arachnae

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
:) Windows 2000 Pro was having problems. I was attempting to repair from repair disk. I followed instructions for set up, repair. Now I am stuck in a loop asking for the product key.
I got the computer years ago when our office shut down with no disk or product key. I used a software program to retrieve the product key and saved it in my documents and settings but forgot to write it down till the repair asked for it. I have not found any info for win 2000 pro to delete/repair this action. Can't find a way to repair in repair console. No erd.

I just bought a new HP p6210f and want to transfer my data such as mp3, pictures, documents, favorites, etc.

This is a desktop computer.

Thanks for your help
Arachnae

Edited by arachnae, 19 November 2009 - 03:46 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi arachnae and welcome to Geeks to Go.

The key should be on the bottom on a laptop and the side or back on a desktop.

If all you want to do is transfer data from that hard drive, there are a couple things you can do.

This is a desktop computer

----->Is this the windows 2000 unit?
Is the HP p6210f also a desktop?

Assuming both are desktops you can either
1. Remove the drive from the win2000 and slave it to the new one, or
2. Put the win2000 drive in a USB enclosure and then attach to the new one.

If you slave it to the new computer, then you will probably have to change jumpers on the back of the drive. You may also have to do that in the enclosure.
Let us know what you need and we will asssist.

123runner