Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

biff74

biff74

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a HP Pavilion Desktop model number a1250n. I upgraded to windows vista about 5 months ago. Had no issues until about 45 days ago. The system shuts down and displays the following:

Tech Info:

Stop: 0x00000101 (0v00000060, 0x00000000, 0x803D1120, 0x00000001)

I have no idea what this means or how to correct it. Tried going into bios to disable memory options - caching and shadowing. Problem is I can't find caching or shadowing. This has become a huge problem and I need your help.

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
This error reportedly sometimes is caused by a CPU heat issue.

If you're open to the idea, you may want to pop the side of your case off and verify that your CPU fan is running properly and not stopped up with dust. It is probably a good idea to rule out this possibility first to prevent permanent damage to your hardware. Please be careful not to touch anything without grounding yourself (grab onto some metal, such as the case exterior) or you can zap your motherboard dead with static electricity. :) :)

Apart from that, this can be caused by a range of different problems: badly seated memory (unlikely in your case unless you recently upgraded), incompatible CPU/motherboard combination (again, in your case, unless you've swapped/updated...), bad BIOS version (might want to try a BIOS update here), video card or driver problems...

For completeness' sake, you can also try this:

1. Click the Start Menu, and in the Start Search box, type %SystemRoot%\Minidump and press ENTER.
2. Zip and attach the last few .dmp files to your next post so that I can analyze them for you.

Also, as an aside, do you happen to be running beta drivers for your video card?

~os

Edited by othersteve, 19 November 2009 - 11:58 AM.

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the response. Couple of added notes. The hard drive was upgraded a few months ago. About same time as upgrading to windows vista. Installed a SATA 3.5" Barracuda hard drive. Again, this did not seem to be the issue because it was installed months before the blue screen appeared. At the time the hard drive was installed, I did remove any dust present under the hood.

I will run %SystemRoot%\Minidump and get back with you. Thanks again for your help.

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
othersteve - I ran the search you suggested. Attached are the last few .dmp files. Please let me know what you uncover. Attached File  New_Compressed__zipped__Folder.zip   1.77KB   449 downloads

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey biff,

Looks like the zip file only includes shortcuts to the .dmp files. :)

If you get the chance to re-zip and send the .dmp files I will run an analysis for you. Otherwise, I would definitely check some of the other stuff I mentioned above.

The hard drive thing should not be an issue I would think, especially since you keep receiving the same bugcheck consistently and it is not related to memory access as most HDD-related problems are.

Meanwhile, just to run down my mental list here, do you happen to be running beta drivers for your video card?

~os

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
os - not using any beta drivers for my video card. Not sure what I did OR did not do with respect to the zip file. Maybe you can walk me through the process of saving the information to zip folder. Here is what I did - ran the suggested search. Highlighted the last 4 .dmp files. right click and attempt to send to zip folder on my desktop. When I do that, I get note saying "file not found or no read permission"

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey biff,

If that's the case, see if you can't simply attach the files outside of a zip (not sure if this works or not).

~os

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OS - Seem to be having lots of problems over here. When I try to open the file, I can't. Says I don't have permission from the administrator - which is me. Also wants to search the web for a program that would allow me to view the file. help

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Attached File  New_Compressed__zipped__Folder.zip   81.25KB   435 downloadsOS - Let me know if this works

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey biff,

It worked all right.

The problem here is a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bugcheck. It seems likely that your Realtek audio driver may be part of the problem. Please update it by clicking here and installing this driver.

Afterwards, please report back with your status. :)

~os

Advertisements

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OS - please excuse my lack of PC knowledge. I downloaded the file you suggested, at least I think I did. Once downloaded, there is a whole list of files. Which one or one's should I do something with? Any guidance would be appreciated. And thank you again for everything. I can't tell you how nice it will be to see that screen go away.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey biff,

Well, this is in fact a tough error to troubleshoot, so there are hardly any guarantees that this will be the end of it... but your PC model in particular has a history of issues with regard to the Realtek sound driver provoking this bugcheck.

If you've downloaded the file, you should just be able to run it to install the driver.

If you aren't sure if you downloaded the file, try clicking this link and downloading/running the file that downloads.

~os

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OS - Downloaded the file. I think everything has been loaded. I was asked to shut down the computer and restart, good sign. I guess we now wait to see what happens. Hopefully you can move on to help others like you helped me. Keep your fingers crossed. Thank you so much

Biff

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Here's hoping. :)

If it doesn't fix it, we'll just try something different!

~os

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OS - Fingers crossed. Have a great weekend.

Biff