Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

One helluva laptop mess

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm doing this from my phone, so the larger pictures help.

It looks like the adapter is already removed or wasn't there to begin with. Can you post a larger picture of the dock?

Advertisements

Mattymoo

Mattymoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is the best i can do of the dock. I've searched the box and there's no adapters. Maybe there is one still in the laptop - i just undid one screw and pulled it out. I'll have a look. Thank you for your help.
*Update - no the only thing in the laptop is connected directly to circuit board unfortunately.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04335.JPG

Edited by Mattymoo, 25 November 2009 - 11:56 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now that I've had a look at the pictures on a real screen, the dock is SATA and the HDD is PATA (IDE).

On the phone it looked like the HDD was missing the IDE to IDE-6 adapter, but it's actually a full IDE connection.

You'll need an IDE dock instead of a SATA dock. Something like this.

Mattymoo

Mattymoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks very much for answering my problem, you've been a great help. I'll get myself one of them.

Anyone want to buy a new SATA docking station!?

Mattymoo

Mattymoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Would this be suitable? http://www.play.com/...e...Price&fb=0#, is it the same as a docking station?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That one should work very nicely... :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
I thought that was a SATA dock and a IDE drive, but really needed to confirm.

Its odd that when I went to Seagate with the drive number you gave, it describes the drive as a SATA.

Mattymoo

Mattymoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi. I've got the enclosure and plugged the hard drive in, but it's not showing up anywhere when i plug it in either before or after startup. I've tried on a vista system and an XP system (the hard drive i'm plugging in was on an XP system). A light comes on dimly on the enclosure but nothing seems to be happening, any ideas please?

Mattymoo

Mattymoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Scrap that last message, i didnt realise i needed to plug the enclosure in to the laptop using 2 usb ports. I am now transferring my files!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Sounds a little like one of the ones I am using.
It has 2 USB ends and I need to use the middle one (alone),or I can use both together.

Glad you got it sorted out though.

Advertisements

Mattymoo

Mattymoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've now transferred evrything, and i am so relieved to have it done. Thank you so much for your help!

I'd still like to be able to boot from that drive though if possible. I had a look for the hal.dll file that it said it couldnt find on startup and it is there where it should be. Also I managed to get all my old emails and contacts but cant find the file for the email connection settings. Ive done a search for iaf which is the suffix of the email settings file but am getting no results. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Edited by Mattymoo, 29 November 2009 - 01:01 PM.