Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game video situation

• Please log in to reply

CraigRC

CraigRC

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Today I was playing a game from BFG(Big Fish Games) with my grandson and experienced a 'crack' sound from my tower. Yesterday I installed a video card, an nVidia FX5200 Mad Dog card I received from a friend who didn't need it any longer. I made sure the card was seated properly in the video slot on the motherboard and started the computer. No problems yesterday, although I noticed that the 'new' board's fan case was very hot. I downloaded the driver info from nVidia and everything ran smoothly. Today the system will boot and all functions seem normal. I removed the 'new' board after the 'crack'ing sound was heard, and restarted the system. No errors were present although the screen does go black for about 2 seconds and then the display returns. The situation is that none of the games on the system will play and I cannot enter the nVidia console software found in the Control Panel under 'printers and other devices'. Attempting to start any of the above will cause a re-boot of the computer.
The configuration is as follows:
AMD Processor 2200+
1.47 Ghz
1.87 GB Ram
two HD's, #1-360GB, #2-80GB (both drives are partitioned)
Standard mouse
Standard KBD
NVIDIA nForce2 parallel ata controller
NVIDIA nforce2 serial ATA Compatible controller
Standard display Viewsonic XV715
Standard ports, COM1, COM2, Lpt1
and a multitude of system devices, etc.

Any Ideas what I might be able to do, or is it an MB upgrade in my future?

Advertisements