Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would you play a RPG as the villains?

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm thinking of working on a new script for a game. It's a concept I've been toying with. How about a rpg where instead of playing the hero who ends up saving the world, you are the villain who is out to conquer, and enslave it? Not so much as an anti-hero, but a cast of actual bad guys.

Advertisements

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Doesn't WoW already do that? (you can play as the horde as opposed to the alliance) I suppose "Good guys and Bad guys" on that game is up for interpretation. Most FPS will let you play as the bad guys. (Play as terrorists or axis teams as opposed to the mainstream view of an Allied team). Command and Conquer lets you go for world domination as a dictator type. And then there's games like Streets of LA or whatever that GTA knock off game was. (which was actually pretty fun). You're still a cop, but depending on who you kill vs who you arrest/rob/ect... gives you good guy and bad guy points. Speaking of GTA, yur not really a "good guy" in that game either. You're basically a bad guy going after other bad guys...

Not trying to shoot down your idea, i'm just wondering how your idea behind playing a "villian" would play out and how it would be any different than whats already out there. But ya why not? I'd play it

vittorio

vittorio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
as in an rpg, for instance let's say in final fantasy 7 instead of playing cloud, sephiroth is your main character, and you play through the game trying to destroy and recreated the world, instead of save it. Something dark kind of like shadow hearts, but instead of playing the hero of the game, you are a sinster evil taking what you want. As far as WoW goes it really doesn't count much for horde vs alliance, b/c no one really roleplays. Horde isn't exactly evil, they are pretty much there just to oppose alliance to give you a choice of sides for pvp. If you played both sides, there isn't much difference as far as questing and content behavior. I think horde should be dark as [bleep], like burning elves at the stake, and putting their heads on pikes. MMO is more like both nations have their own point of view neither side is neccesarily good or evil, it's all about which side has the cooler looking character models. FPS games there is no role play value, so being a terrorists vs usmc is kind of like red team vs. blue team. I'm talking about an actual cast, storyline, dialog, blood, guts, and gore. Something where you watch the CG and you're like, man... that was messed up. Think kind of like playing as evil in something like fable of fallout 3, but in an rpg. Givin the opportunity to destroy a village, or slaughter people running the streets. Seizing control of empires, kingdoms, and on your way to world dominiation. In just about every rpg game your character takes up the role of fighting and defeating that kind of guy. I just wanted some input, b/c I haven't seen anything like this yet. I'm not for sure how well it would really sell though, so I don't really wanna spend the next eight months dishing out a script for it, when i could be working on something more current.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ya i was gunna use final fantasy as an example. I think that would be good deal. But there's a reason that they generally make the "Hero" a good guy. The mainstream public likes to be on the good side of the good vs evil conflict. I think the only way it would really work and sell is if you had the option to play both sides without cutting down the length of the game play. FF7 was my last rpg I played on a console and it took me FOREVER to finish it. I suppose i could've completed it faster if i just ran through to complete the game, but i searched every room of every level for everything i could find along the way.I'd put so much time and effort into completing it that i never really played it again because i already knew where to go and what to expect. I might've held onto the game a little longer if i could play from the other side after I beat it the first time.