Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

upgrading pc

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
does anyone know what steps i would take to transfer data from one pc to another ?

• 34,114 posts
You can do it through windows
Linux live cd
Backup on USB drive, External drive, Flash drive or cd's.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

If you would like a different suggestion I can post instructions for the Linux Live cd. If your system is running I would suggest the above method.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,711 posts
If using a windows OS.
click star,
click help and support,
in the search box, type, file transfer.

depending on the OS you will get a selection of articles.
Browse through them to see what is available.

I use windows xp so, I click on, file and transfer wizard.