Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my on comp; will it all mesh?

• Please log in to reply

W@@dy

W@@dy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi people.
I want a computer. I've decided to try building my own for price, performance, and upgradability (yes I made up that word, deal with it.)

I have never built a computer from scratch before, but I've upgraded computers a bit. Okay so just RAM, but I know what's in a comp lol.

Okay, so why I'm here is because I wanna know if everything I've chosen is all compatible with everything so I don't have to deal with returning pieces and all that hassle...

http://i235.photobuc...pg?t=1258685257
(Sorry, it's being weird and won't show the pic itself)

What I'm going for is something that can handle games decently, but I don't need it to be crazy good. I'm running on strict budget ( X<$1000) and I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible.
Aside from games, I just want it to do basic stuff well. I'll upgrade it as time goes on and I get a job.

So...do I need to change anything?
Oh, yeah I'll probably go with a smaller HD

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi :)

http://en.wiktionary...i/upgradability

There goes your "made up word" theory... :)

It will all "mesh", however you don't need the eSATA cable in that combo, also you should change the DVD drive to a burner and make it a SATA one, then you can get rid of the IDE cable as well.

W@@dy

W@@dy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a laptop with a DVD burner. And I figure the only burning I'll do is for songs, so it should all work out.
From what I understood though I did need the sata cable because the HD didn't include cables. It was listed as a bare drive

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep no worries on the DVD Drive, it's your call on that, I personally install them on every machine that I sell, period. For the SATA cables, you should get the lot in the motherboard box. :)

W@@dy

W@@dy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Cool, thanks for the quick replies and help. Greatly appreciated