Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Drive is G, not C?

• Please log in to reply

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yesterday, I installed Windows XP Professional with Service pack 3

Today, after installing a lot of software, I noticed that the OS Drive Letter is G (Game), not C (Candy).

I did not know that this could occur & have no idea why it happened.

I know how to change Drive Letters, although I am not certain that XP will allow changing the OS Drive Letter.

If I change the Drive Letter, I am almost certain that I will have beaucoup problems invoking the software now installed.

Is there a safe way to change the drive letter & update all references to it?

I could manually update shortcut references from G to C, but have no idea what other references I would have to fix.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW: My new system is faster than my old one, but XP takes 9 minutes to load & be usable: Way slower than my old system using XP Home Edition.
Could this be due to the drive letter?

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Gouverneur,

Well, the good news is that the drive letter will not affect your system's speed at all.

The bad news is that changing the system drive letter can be a nightmare and is generally not recommended. I would personally not recommend it under any circumstances unless you are experiencing some sort of serious problems spawned by the driver letter discrepancy.

Nevertheless, if you are still interested in the process, here are the instructions.

If you wish to virtually point all references to c:\ to g:\, you can try this:

1. Click Start > Run > type cmd and press ENTER.
2. Type notepad driveletter.bat and click Yes to create a new file.
3. Type the following in notepad:
@echo off
subst c: g:\
4. Click File > Save > Click Save as type All Files in the dropdown box
5. Navigate to the following directory: G:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\startup
6. Save the file in that directory.
7. Close notepad and restart your computer.

This should work I think. Please let me know if it helps.

As for the speed of your computer, you can post a startup log and have it parsed by one of the experts here (if I'm not around, plenty of people here can help you) to speed up your boot time:

1. Download Autoruns.
2. Post a copy of your log:

- Download and unzip the program.
- Right-click and choose Run as Administrator
- Click File > Save... > Save as type > Text (*.txt) > place the file on your desktop and name it
- Attach the log file to your next post.

You may also be infected if your system is taking that long to boot; please consider that possibility.

Also, how much RAM do you have installed?

~os

Edited by othersteve, 19 November 2009 - 10:57 PM.

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OtherSteve: Thanx for your advice. I am copying it & filing it for future use.

Did some research after starting this thread. XP Help & Support specifically states that you cannot change Boot Drive Letter. The Link you provided indicaes that changing the Boot Drive Letter is a bad idea if it is the letter assigned when the OS was installed.

Your advice might be useful for other circumstances. Most of the time, changing a Drive Letter for a non-boot partition does not seem to cause any problems. I have done it many times without bothering to track down & change references to the original letter.

The system has 8GB of memory, anticipating running 64-Bit XP & Windows 7. 32-Bit XP installed for use with some applications which will not run on a 64-Bit system. System information reports 2.76 GB usable, which surpises me: I expected close to 4GB to be usable.