Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Question

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hey guys, so I'm trying to overclock my Core i7 920. So far I've got it 99% stable (get a BSOD maybe once every other month but that's acceptable for me) at 4.0GHz. All I've modified so far in order to achieve this has been disabling SpeedStep, setting the Vcore to 1.35, and the BCLK to 200. Hyper-threading is still enabled, although with 4 physical cores being more than enough and very few applications that can utilize 8 virtual cores, I'm very much open to the idea of turning it off if necessary. I have a Zalman CNPS9900 cooler.

One quick note, like I said, I have SpeedStep disabled, which also appears to inherently disable the "Turbo" mode (because the option disappears from the BIOS when I disable SpeedStep), however in CPU-Z the multiplier still jumps around between 13 when near-idle and 20 when under load. It was my understanding that this behavior is supposed to go away after you disable SpeedStep, but it just hasn't. I don't want this behavior, so if anyone knows how to turn it off, I'd greatly appreciate if you could enlighten me.

To save time in explanation of my current settings and stuff, I've attached some screenshots of CPU-Z and RealTemp. Both were taken when the processor was under load. Hopefully this will provide you with whatever relevant info you need about my current settings.

Now, since my temps are still well within the safe range, I'd like to go a little farther. I've tried raising my BCLK to 205, first keeping the voltage the same, then using 1.35625, then 1.36250, but in all cases my computer would freeze within seconds of logging on.
I suppose it might be worth noting that when I enter a Vcore value in the BIOS that is higher than 1.35V, the color of the number changes. At 1.35V, the number is displayed in pink text, and at anything higher, the text changes to red. I presume this indicates a level of safety associated with using these voltages. However, as you can see from the screenshots, my temps are well within the safe range at 1.35V so some minor increments in voltage shouldn't cause any problems, right?

Is there some other value I need to tweak once I enter the 4.0+GHz range (besides the BCLK)? Again, ALL I've changed so far from the stock settings is the BCLK and CPU voltage.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• cpuzss.jpg
  • realtempss.jpg

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I haven't had a chance to play with overclocking on an i7 yet, however you'll want to disable C1E and also thermal control if you can find those settings in the BIOS.