Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Email Send/Receive problem with Thunderbird and Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Dell 1501 laptop, XP.

Because of a problem with Outlook Express about a year ago, I downloaded Thunderbird and have used it with no problem until now. A few days ago, it decided it didn't want to send, but it will receive. When I try to send, it asks for my password for the smtp server. If I enter it, it still won't send, just keeps asking.

So, since Outlook Express is out of the question, I installed Outlook 2003 from my Office disc. Settings are right, servers are correct, password is correct........ Outlook will send, but won't receive. Asks for my mail service password, but get an error that the mail server rejected my login.

Here's the really odd thing to me..... if I go to my desktop computer, startup Outlook Express on it, OE sends and receives with no problem either way.

What is going on with this laptop? If I could get Outlook to receive, I would uninstall Thunderbird entirely after cleaning out some saved files in it. As I've said, my server names are correct in both, password is correct...... I'm baffled. Any ideas?

late edit: Should have mentioned, my internet connection is dsl. The desktop is hardwired and the laptop with the problem is wireless.

Edited by Pluto56, 20 November 2009 - 09:50 AM.

Advertisements