Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Lag in Multiplayer games

• Please log in to reply

Naito

Naito

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I play a multiplayer game (main ones, CoD6, L4D2, TF2(all Steam games)) I get lag every couple of seconds. It used to be a regular 30 seconds (not the 60 seconds WZC problem) however now its become fairly random.

I use a wireless router and I cannot easily changed to wired as my computer is on the other side of the house to the modem and router and there is another computer in the room with the modem.

I've tried several of different options:
  • Disabled WZC
  • Changed steam launch mode to TCP - has lowered frequency of lag
  • Let my router not block ping
  • Power cycled (loads)
  • Repaired my adapter
  • Keep pinging my router

None of these have worked for me. My ping is fine in game (usually around the 30-40 mark) but when i ping my router in CMD, I usually get loads of <1-5ms, which is fine, but every 30 seconds or so I would get something ranging from 1000ms - Request time out. It's even worse when I'm in game as every 5-10 seconds i get a jump to 500+ms. Because my ping is fine in game I've been told it may be my GPU but my fps is constantly at 59-61 and change the graphics does nothing.

I have fixed this before, when I say fix I mean I could just pull my adapter out and put it back in and my game play is fine, but after formatting my computer the problem is back and seems worse and I really don't know what to do or what I did.

I am using a Belkin N Router.

Please Help

Edited by Naito, 21 November 2009 - 04:12 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
is there anyone else sharing your wireless connection? It sounds like latency being introduced by your wireless connection. This can come from someone else sharing your wireless connection, or from outside interference. I would recommend that you check to see how many wireless connections are being detected. If there are a bunch, see what channel everyone is using. Often you will find that everyone is on the same channel. Simple to go into your router config and change the ssid channel to something with less people on it.

I use netstumbler to scan and look up the wireless info. This will tell you how many networks it detects, and what channel they are using.

The other option, and one I would recommend, is that you check with belkin about a firmware upgrade for your router.

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have upgraded the firmware to what I think may be the most recent one. There is a laptop that usually also connects to it but its wired to the router.

Also does it matter what channel I use because I thought there may be only a few I can use

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
lags still there... but maybe not as bad

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
there are 9 channels available. if you use netstumbler to see what is being used by other people, just change to one that is less used. That should help reduce interferance

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the only channel that is being used is 1, ive changed to 10... now its only slightly helped