Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recovery console

• Please log in to reply

el_jack

el_jack

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Is there a way to download RC and install it on a computer. I don't have a working disk for the machine. I think ie is corrupted. It won't allow me to open internet options, it flashes then disappears. If there is another way please tell me this will be of great help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean you don't have a working disk for the system?
What version of IE are you using?
RC is part of the XP installation disk and can be accessed using that.
Yes you can download just the RC by doing the following:

Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have a home made disk that I use to enter Rc but the cd drive on this machine can't read it. I really need to repair install but without a disk that will work with the cd player I'm in bad shape. any suggestions on how to work around this

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't have Xp installation disk?
Is this a name brand system?
Make and model if it is.

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
hp compaq dx2000 MT.
with windows xp pro (The system came with pro)
I have a home made xp pro disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have a home made xp pro disk.

Bad move as I have never seen a homemade disk work correctly unless you make a slipstram disk for the newer SP's.
Since this is a compaq then you will have a Recovery partition usually already installed on the hard drive.
Now with that being said what version of IE do you have?

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
ie 7

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then let's try some fixes and see what is going on.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I did as you suggested and it still is a problem. I'll brief you on what happened. There were viruses on the machine. I used microsoft malicious software removal tool and malwarebytes to remove them. but I can't connect to the internet and can't get into internet options.

how should I handle this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You probably did not completely rid the infection. Infections have a nasty habit of hiding even rename themselves as legitimate programs.
Let's have you check this out before we continue any further.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The issue has been fixed. I uninstalled the network adapter drivers and windows install it again. It works fine now.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for the fix as this may help someone later with the same issue.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible