Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cisco to Nortel

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, just wondering is it possible to hook a nortel IP phone into a cisco call manager, or vice versa? or is cisco only compatible to itself, same with nortel? thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
call manager is EXTREMELY proprietary (as with all cisco equipment)...if you've got the newest version of call manager you can use true SIP transport instead of just skinny or h.323...but this is more for PBX to PBX trunks and not for phone to PBX communication...but it's probably still going to balk at the phones...though cisco documentation does state the the new call manager can have sip phones

nortel is pretty tight on their controls as well..they're not big fans of playing nice with other people's equipments

for the phone end...cisco phones can communicate with any PBX that can use skinny...i've got a fonality PBXtra (based off of asterisk...it's the enterprise level of trixbox) and it can talk with cisco phones just fine because it's got skinny controls...from my research (sorry i don't have a nortel system on hand) nortel does not support skinny (SCCP)

a quick search seems to confirm this...all results are about using 323 or SIP trunks to communicate between nortel PBX and CCM...but squat about using a nortel phone with cisco equipment

vittorio

vittorio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks for the info, my boss handed me a nortel phone today and was like, make it work... i didn't think i could with my current version, but he insists it can happen. again, thanks for the clarification ^^

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...if the boss asked...he's probably not going to take my word for it hehe

if you've got a smartnet sub on your CCM i'd give cisco a call for a definitive answer