Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU or PSU?

• Please log in to reply

Naito

Naito

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Not sure if this is in the right place, however:

Whenever I'm in game meshes, belonging to characters mainly, distort and have weird shapes coming out of them, at first I thought this was due to it being a high quality game (crysis) however the same problem happens in games like spore and gunz. I think its my GPU and I've tried reseating it however it hasn't worked. After asking a few of my friends, some of them said it might be the PSU not being a high enough voltage.

Either way, its worse now and my computer has rebooted unexpectedly twice after being in game so i want to get a new PSU or GPU. I really don't want to change something if i dont need to so I want to know if its my GPU or PSU.

My PSU is a OCZ Stealth Stream 500W and my GPU is a Radeon HD 4850

other stuff inside my comp are:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
Intel Quad Core Q6600
2GB RAM

If I'm missing something please tell me

Edited by Naito, 21 November 2009 - 01:31 PM.

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

Did You try updating your GPU drivers to the latest version? Does it happens only in games?

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeh I've recently updated it... all the glitches are still there and i think it still crashes...yeh it mainly happens ingame

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't state what GPU you have.

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i have

My PSU is a OCZ Stealth Stream 500W and my GPU is a Radeon HD 4850

Sapphire Radeon 4850

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which version of the Sapphire card? How much memory and is this a add on card or intergrated video?

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
just reading off the case... Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512mb GDDR3.... it was reasonably new when i got it... as in it had recently come out...i think

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you updated drivers did you do it through safe mode by uninstalling old drivers. Then rebooting into normal mode and loading new drivers then?

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i uninstalled, restarted, installed properly... it seems alright now but it still glitches... im thinking of getting a ATi Radeon 4890 1gb....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Advertisements

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That is almost patronising... anyway i did it, i seem to be missing alot more sections than you but here it is

Image.jpg

I also have some readings from my gpu...
image2.jpg

Tell me if im wrong here... but my gpu shouldnt be 80 degrees C... in idle... should it?
image3.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That does seem a little high to me. It should be about 60 or below if I'm not mistaken.
Not sure why you said it is patronizing but ok. Have you checked the card itself to make sure there is nothing obstructing the fan on the card?
Is the fan clean of all dust and running correctly?

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
its always been at 80C since i got it... therefore it probably wont be dust, I've reseated it twice, and nothings blocking the fan.

By running correctly... i guess you mean does it work, in which case yes, but works well... like i said earlier meshes glitch and vertices move randomly and textures sometimes warp. No i cant show you a screen shot cos it seems to not show in screenshots... What i can tell you is that in Crysis it reaches 90Cish and in CoD6 it dies.... which is weird

(oh yeh its patronising cos u gave me a step by step introduction to making a screenshot....)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I give step by step because I have no ideal of your level of expertise and this way in case you don't know you would not have to wait for the instructions. :)
Now how old is the video card you have?
Has it always had this meshing problem or is it something that has just started?
Has there been any other new software or updates done just prior to this issue starting?

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
about 2 years, yes,yes i think my gpu was new as in newly created... so an early version.... no i did not get it sent back because i didnt have the time nor the effort to and i was used to it having meshing problems as i have previously melted two nvidea graphics cards qand one ati one...two possibly now... and none of them on high quality games (AoE3 i think i melted the nvideas on...)