Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Case Fan

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I've just cleaning up the inside of my pc. But now I don't remember which side of case fan to put. Does the air flow go in or out the case?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Depends on the fan location.
The fans in front would blow in to add air to the system while the fans in the back would blow out.
That way you have air flow.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The fans in front would blow in to add air to the system while the fans in the back would blow out.

Yup! Generally, you want good front to back air flow. If side fans are present, they too blow cool air in. If using a "blow hole" fan (one mounted on top of the case), it exhausts hot air out.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
The location is next to cpu fan and I only have one case fan. So does the air flow have to go in or out?

Edited by Axelion, 21 November 2009 - 12:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like the rear one under the PSU most likely. If so then it blows out.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The location is next to cpu fan

Do you mean mounted on the motherboard? If so, that is likely a 40mm chipset fan - and don't normally get removed unless it needs to be replaced.

I only have one case fan. So does the air flow have to go in or out?

You neglected to tell us it's location. Where is this case fan located? Front? Or back? Typically, if only one case fan, it is in the back and should exhaust warm air out.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I thought I covered that?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I thought I covered that?

You did. So did I and so did rshaffer. But it does not seem Axelion is following. Hopefully now there's an understanding.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Okay, thanks. My case fan is on the back. I guess I put it on the wrong side =(

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
:) "Now before we go about installing the fan we need to figure out what we want to do with it. Do we want it to blow air in? Or blow air out? It all depends on your situation, in my case I'll have one fan blowing in cold air but eventually that will get hot and raise the temperature in the case, so I'll want this back case fan to blow that hot air out. Now here comes the hardest part of installing a case fan; figuring out which way the fan is blowing. In most cases the fan will have arrows indicating which way the air is being blown, unfortunately for me this particular fan didn't. The best way to go about finding out which way the fan blows is to plug in the fan into the PSU and find out for yourself."

With Pictures. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

most cases the fan will have arrows indicating which way the air is being blown, unfortunately for me this particular fan didn't.

Most have 2 arrows, one showing the direction of the air flow, and the other showing the direction of the rotation. That said, I recently bought a replacement Antec "Bigboy" 200mm fan and was disappointed to see it did not have any arrows. I expected more from Antec, one of my long time favorite makers. Still a neat fan, moves massive amounts of air, in total silence - just one word of advice, when checking nearby cables, keep you knuckles out the spinning blades, they break off easily! :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

... - just one word of advice, when checking nearby cables, keep you knuckles out the spinning blades, they break off easily! :)

The knuckles or the blades? :) I just look at the pitch of the blades. Should give some idea of the airflow direction. A quick connect to a proper voltage source will certainly do it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The knuckles or the blades?

lol - I almost wish it were knuckles - those fans are not cheap. And no - on many fans, you can't look at the pitch and tell air flow if you don't know the direction of the rotation. Some fans yes, because the blades are also cupped, but some are not. Otherwise, your only option is to connect up power and see what happens.