Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Right Click in Start Menu

• Please log in to reply

RTX

RTX

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm new. I'm here with a problem I can't fix.
I am unable to right click in the Start Menu,
and I am running a Windows XP SP3 using a System Administrators account on an IBM T43 comp.

Right now I'm looking through things with ShellEx, but I'm new to that program and it's taking a long, long time, so if anyone has any fixes or tips ...

Solutions I have tried (which failed to work):

---My "Enable drag and drop" from
start menu button \ properties \ customize \ advanced\
is enabled. It did not help. Please don't suggest this as an answer - I've checked and unchecked and checked and it hasn't helped.

--- The "NoStartMenuChange" dword value from:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
is set to 0. No, it did not help either.

---Changing Mouse primary and secondary settings had no effect.

---"Kellys Korners" XP Tweak "restore right click properties" (number #203) did not work either.

---Don't bother suggesting a system restore.

My eternal gratitude to the genius who can fix my problems

Edited by RTX, 21 November 2009 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey RTX,

Worth a shot:

1. Click Start > Run > type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

In ShellExView, look for anything at all third-party and try disabling it. Eventually you should come to the solution there. Two commonly-known problem shell extensions for Start Menu problems are PowerISO and MagicISO, for instance.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 21 November 2009 - 12:26 PM.

RTX

RTX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help - I disabled some shell extensions and it finally fixed the problem. God, I was very frustrated then. Thanks!

Just another thing to ask: My start menu is really cluttered.
Does anyone know of any way to easily reorganize it?
I mean apart from the obvious going to the windows explorer start menu folder and creating folders and stuff.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Yeah, those shell extensions are common culprits.

As for whether there's an easier method for reorganization, well, apart from the common knowledge that you can right-click in the menu (of which you clearly are aware) and choose Sort Alphabetically, not really...

I'm certain there is a freeware app out there that streamlines the process, but if you get a couple of Explorer windows going simultaneously, it's really quite simple regardless.

~os

RTX

RTX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah - I meant I was looking for a program to streamline the process and reorganize stuff, not rearrange alphabetically. I didn't find any though :)

Well thanks for the help you've given me.

Edited by RTX, 22 November 2009 - 01:05 AM.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Glad to be of service. Have a great night. :)

~os

RTX

RTX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh and by the way, I've got another quesiton. On the right side of the start menu (not the all programs menu) there's a list of "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music"... do you know how to modify - as in delete or add more shortcut-ish things? Like say if I wanted to add another folder or remove one of them.

Thanks.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey RTX,

1. Right-click on your taskbar.
2. Choose Properties.
3. Click the Start Menu tab, then choose Customize...
4. Click the Advanced tab. This is a listing of all of the options available for the menu.

Hope this helps. :)

~os