Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nice easy question perhaps

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I have a asdl router, I have four computers cable connected but only using the connection to receive the internet to each, fine because it avoids cross infection. But now I would like to be able to just connect a crossover cable at times between two of them to balance out storage, a)is it difficult to configure, b) is it stupid as an idea c) will the computer see the difference when I pug in the crossover cable.

I know I could use a external hard drive but one of my computers has a problem with the USB port.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello fleamailman,
a) If you have Windows XP, it is relatively simple to set up, and if not, it is not as easy, but it is still not 'complex' or mind-boggling stuff.
b) No, it's not a stupid idea :tazz:
c) You can set up more than one Local Area Connection.

Why, exactly do you want to do this? I can't think of any task that can be performed via a cross over network that you couldn't do through your router's network.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thks, dan G

Many reasons, some pratical others academic:
a)I have a weak USB port that fades off if the transfer is unsupported by power.
b)I have a little sony viao upgraded to XP with 10gb(which could work as an viewer in itself when I am on the move and as a computer for a large screen when I can grab the family together for those after dinner lets see this all together evenings), so I thought of disconnecting the router cable at the router end when needed and just plugging it in the viao from there so as to not go behind the fixed under the desk computer each time.
c)I wanted to keep the main connections to the other computers as internet only so as to limit cross infection on all these simple unprotected outdated machines(I am the type that picks machines out of skips), mine is p2p, my son's gaming, my wife will be Skipe(that is when I have enough good feedback about it), and my daughter's MSM chat, (also, one unconected to the router doing the TV, and about eight others siting around without purpoise) so if one goes down with something the others can cover for it while I confess I normally reinstall quickly (50minutes)rather than all this scanning with various tools as suggested here except for the real quick ones though that may change with better understanding.
d)I feel weak on this subject, perhaps these eight extra machines could used for storage, or something else but that is another tread that I will start here later.
e)I feel this idea may interest and help others too, who like me hate to see old machines just thrown away because they can no longer do the latest games.

Hope this helps and no rush needed in replying (though I would love a reply some time) as I would like to explore the pros and cons here first then decide what I should do.

Edited by fleamailman, 17 May 2005 - 05:47 AM.