Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install W98 to dual boot with W7?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I just bought a new computer with W7. Overall I am thrilled with it, but apparently there is no capacity to run DOS programs. After 15 years I am still playing a game called "Masters of Orion", but it won't run on the new computer.
I have installed Virtual PC (for Vista, but it seems to run okay anyhow) and loaded W98 into it, and MOO. It runs, but is really slow.

I would like to set my computer up for dual booting, and install W98 (it is the only OS I have that will install on a new computer and runs MOO fine).

I have seen how you can install W7 on a Vista computer for dual boot and it looks easy enough. Can I do the same to install W98 on a W7 computer? I don't need any problems; if it isn't a good idea I don't want to do it.

Any other suggestions for solving my "problem" would be great. Okay, it is not much of a problem, but I just haven't found another game I like.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There's been no DOS support in Windows since the days of Windows 2000, my friend.
While you can set up Win98 as a dual-boot, none of your current hardware will be usable in it. No graphic support, no board support, constant whinging about having more than 512Mb of memory, issues with the hard drive most likely being over 137Gb in size, everything running obscenely fast...

You can set up a dual boot system, however the problems you will have away from the hardware and technicality issues above, is that Win98 will insist on being the only operating system on the machine. It can only be dual-booted if you install it first then install Windows 7 from your DVD.

Don't forget if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, there is a download from Microsoft, the XP Mode which is a virtual machine with XP.