Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen saver

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
A thousand pardons if I am in the wrong forum. I run XP and have an old Dell. I have a LCD monitor and was wondering if I really need to have the screen saver running all the time. I know that originally screen savers were run so that there would be no etching of display on the screen of older monitors. But don't the new monitors work differently? Are they prone to the same or similar damage from a constant image? I am not having problems of any kind, usually turn off my monitor when not in use. Also, I believe the monitor turns off anyway after a specified amount of time. So, why do I need it? I just think it is a waste of resources to run screen saver.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ShowMe...

That's a good question. And one I haven't seen asked much.

You are correct that screensavers are designed to prevent image etching on cathode ray tube monitors. LCD monitors are not prone to image burns, so the screensaver is not necessary. Using the power saving feature to turn the monitor off when it's not being used is more than sufficient to both protect the monitor and save yourself some power consumption.

wannabe1

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thank you for the fast and complete reply!