Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection disconnects about every 5 minutes. (win XP)

• Please log in to reply

internetproblemgotmedown

internetproblemgotmedown

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I've been having this problem for about a year now and nobody seems to know how to fix it. Now I've found you guys and you're my last hope.
The problem is my internet constantly disconnects about every 5 minutes. Sometimes it lasts longer, like 10 minutes before it disconnects. When it disconnects, I have to go to wireless networks and reconnect to get another 5 minutes.
But it's fine when I'm just using firefox and cruising around. It only seems to disconnect when I'm doing high internet demanding things like downloading something or playing an online game. Thank you for helping me, I just can't seem to figure it out.
And here are my specs:
System (optional): Windows XP Professional SP3
Intel Core Duo CPU
T8300 @ 2.4GHz
2.39 GHz. 2.98 GB of RAM
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by internetproblemgotmedown, 21 November 2009 - 05:39 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please read the following thread on this problem. Look at Broni's answer at the bottom.

http://www.geekstogo...es-t172937.html

SRX660

internetproblemgotmedown

internetproblemgotmedown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the response, I tried the three things he said to try, but it's still disconnecting bad as ever.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried talking to you ISP (internet provider)to see if they have a policy on time limits, or that they can run thru your connections to see if a setting is wrong? If all the fixes failed from the other thread i would tend to think it is a ISP problem.

AOL used to do this all the time years ago. What they were trying to do is make customers upgrade to a higher priced connection.Perhaps your ISP is doing this. My brother in Mobile Ala has the local cable connection that is still doing this to their customers.

SRX660

Microsd

Microsd

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Do you get any "Send", "Don't send" errors when the connection hangs? If yes, can you post which?

internetproblemgotmedown

internetproblemgotmedown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It doesn't show any errors when it disconnects, just the little internet icon on the bottom right has a red X on it.
And I'll try calling Verizon to see if they're pulling that evil internet scheme on me. I'l post back what they say.