Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unwanted explorer window at startup

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
At every Windows logon/boot up, I get an open explorer window at path "c:Windows/Program Files/Microsoft". In this folder is another folder named "Search Enhancement Pack". In it are several other folders. Each time, I have to close it. It is an annoying nuisance.

This first started happening maybe six or more months ago. It started as a result of a Windows Live update that ended up installing far more crap than I wanted. At the time, I tried briefly to resolve it, but failed. Today, I tried very hard to fix it--all to no avail.

I found a number of suggestions that seem to have worked for others with the same problem...but not for me. I tried the two "msiexec /x..." suggested that supposedly delete the offending program. In both cases, it says the product must be installed before I can delete it. (I did a copy and paste, so it wasn't a typo on my part.)

I tired running the Microsoft Fixit 50060 which ran clean but the problem persists.

I went into the registry and changed all occurrences of the path to insert quotes around it. (The implication was that the path had spaces and should be quoted.) The problem persists. I am at my wit's end.

The only thing I haven't done is delete the "Microsoft" folder. I'm afraid I might be trading one error for another, possibly more grave error.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Hi, Broni.

I used Autoruns to disable the two relevant instances of "enhancement", logged off and on again--window still appears. I'm attaching the Autoruns listing...

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, I can't see any other entries.
There is a lot of hits on Google about this issue: http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a
Did you try them all?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
All but deleting the folder.

It's amazing to me how Microsoft puts out this crap that affects so many people and then doesn't develop a fix and doesn't speak a word about it.

I'm guessing that some other process is calling this thing. That would explain why it still shows up. Strange though, that what has worked for others hasn't worked for me.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I just tried the msiexec again using the string identified by autoruns in my search for "enhancement". Again, I got the message "product must be installed before you can delete it". <scratches head>

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I renamed the folder and re-booted. No window and no error...at least not on startup. If I ever experience some anomaly that seems related, I'll deal with it then. For now, I'm happy to have jettisoned that dang window outta here. :) Thanks for listening and providing a shoulder to cry on.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool beans :)