Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE8 "about:tabs" page changed

• Please log in to reply

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello,

NOTE: I now have a 64-bit system, with Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer 8.

I installed Hypercam screen recorder and Hypercam toolbar. Afterwards, when I open a new tab in IE8, I receive this website instead of the "What would you like to do..." page:

http://www.bigseekpr...7D?s_src=newtab

I have uninstalled Hypercam recorder, Hypercam/BigSeekPro toolbar, reinstalled and uninstalled those programs again. Nothing fixed. After doing so, I found a website where a Microsoft support engineer suggested this fix:

1. Click Start

2. In ‘Start Search’ type regedit, press Enter (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

4. Right-click Tabs, then click Modify…
5. Change the “Value data:” to:
res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

6. Click OK

I tried this process to no avail, but there's a twist:

My 32-bit version of Internet Explorer is the one with the new tab page changed, my 64-bit version still has the original "about:tabs" - (What would you like to do now...) page.

Is there a different registry key, other than the one listed above, for the 32-bit version of IE8? Is it possible I was editing the 64-bit key? That would explain why the registry key I checked already had the value listed above.

Any help would be appreciated on how to restore the IE8 (32-bit) new tab page to its original state.

Thank you. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to "Reset" IE?
Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Columbo,

That's because those programs are adware. :)

While this forum cannot be used for malware removal,

On the other hand, I'd highly suggest you follow this entire process for ensuring you are clean.

Be careful what you install. :)

Edit:

Also, I dug up the location of the key you're looking for I think. Try this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\Tabs

Reset it to res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

~os

Edited by Rorschach112, 23 November 2009 - 06:00 AM.
removed malware advice

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

That's because those programs are adware.

What is the source of the above information?

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Broni,

removed advice

~os

Edited by Rorschach112, 23 November 2009 - 06:00 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
...and the connection with "Hypercam screen recorder " is?
http://www.hyperionics.com/ and http://www.bigseekpr...7D?s_src=newtab are listed by WOT as excellent.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Broni,

OP mentions "Hypercam/BigSeekPro Toolbar" in his description. I can only go by what he says, of course.

There are numerous examples of that GUID matching BigSeekPro and numerous links of that GUID to adware of some sort from what I can see. One example can be found right here at G2G, in fact, in this log.

O3 - Toolbar: BigSeekPro Toolbar - {1BB22D38-A411-4B13-A746-C2A4F4EC7344} - C:\Program Files\BigSeekPro Toolbar\tbcore3.dll

I'm not sure that WOT's rating of the site is entirely relevant in the classification of their BHO... Perhaps I'm mistaken? I've certainly been wrong in the past.

Regardless, I definitely didn't mean to upset you. My apologies; maybe I should leave this one to you...

I have to say, I'm kind of getting the vibe from some people that perhaps I'm not wanted around these forums. Maybe I ought to rethink my participation... :\

~os

Edited by othersteve, 22 November 2009 - 12:58 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I apologize, if you felt, I'm upset :)
I'm not and you may be actually right.
I didn't notice BigSeekPro toolbar part.

Since this not malware forum....

I suggest he goes to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a OTListIt2 log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a OTListIt2 log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thank you othersteve! That registry key change did the trick; the welcome tabs page comes up now. I kept a note of where that is incase I need it again.

By the way, Malwarebytes' didn't find anything bad.

Thanks again! (I consider this issue resolved now. :-) )

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Glad to be of service.

Have a great day!

~os