Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP networking query

• Please log in to reply

davidc51

davidc51

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I hope this is the right place to ask - if not then I apologise.
I have several PCs at home all networked via an 8 way switch and they all work fine.
My main PC runs XP pro and my music machine XP home.
My question is - can I restrict one of the PCs to be availble for file sharing but not connectable to the internet?
I use one of my PCs for music production and I want it pretty secure so I keep the network connection unplugged until I need to move file between my PCs. It would be much more convenient if I could keep it completely safe from the internet but still have access from other PCs on my network when required.
I used to use Zone Alarm on my previous music PC but it caused all sorts of problems so I wondered if XP could use it's firewall and exceptions (or something else) to do this? I'm sure this is an easy thing to do but I'm no expert in these matters and I don't want to start changing settings when it's all working so well!
Regards

DavidC

Advertisements