Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 260 Selection and When to buy it

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm lookin to build a new rig after I get back from my deployment in January. I'm torn between GPUs and should I take the plunge on "black friday" or wait till x-mas for the best prices?

Here's what I have in my newegg cart right now:

Antec 300 case
Vista 64 (its going for about $89 right now w/o rebates and you get a FREE upgrade to win7; 2 OS's for less than the cost of 1! :))
Corsair 550W PSU
ASUS P7P55D Pro MB
Ripjaw 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
i5-750 CPU
MSI GTX 260

As far as the GPUs go, I'v given myself a $200 limit. I'm looking at the MSI GTX 260. There's OC-v3 and and OC-v4 versions. I can't find any difference at all in the actual card specs. The only difference I can see is the OC-v3 has the twin FROZR fans and a crazy looking heatsink. The OC-v4 only has 1 fan. Cooling would be the big issue and the reviews all say the v4 gets pretty hot. However, I'm hoping my case will deal with cooling issues. I have the v3 in my cart right now which is sitting at $199 with no rebates available.The v4 comes with a combo deal with the i5 for $359. (essentially making the v4 about $159) Are there any major performance issues between the 2 cards and is it worth the extra $40 for the v3?

MSI GTX 260 OC-v3
Posted Image

MSI GTX 260 OC-v4
Posted Image

I'm also up for any suggestions on better parts to use for my build too so give me you honest opinions :)

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

Not sure what is the difference between this two cards, just that OCv4 is running more quiet.Since you said your limit is around $200 try to look at this XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 it's little faster in most games than MSI 260.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
lol, i knew somone was going to try to convert me to ATI...

For comparison the the Nvida response to ATI 4890 is the GTX 275. however the 4890 is in the same price range as the GTX 260 logicially making ATI the winner since any nvida card higher than the 260 out of my price range... Further reading has put the 4890 somewhere between the 275 and 280. Either way, it kills the 260...

Anyone have any experience with the 4890? I might have to cross to the dark side on this one...

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Haha! You Nvidia fan? :) I didn't use 4890 I did use 4870 and 4850 and I never had any problems well it's up to you.My honest opinion is that I would go for 4890.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The more i research it, the more i find that you're right. ATI has a lot better price:performance ratio.

I think i'm going to go with the MSI 4890 Cyclone. $169 with a rebate. NVIDA cards are well over $200 for the same performance.