Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need a new game after Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My computer is at its absolute limits in hardware. It had a pretty good run for 5 years but its about time to get something better. My main game I played was Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Its all online based and open sourced so there are maps and mods up the wazoo for it. Plus its free to download/free to play, so that kept its appeal for the masses for many years. But much like last years Madden games, its time to move on with the times. I love ET and still play it on occasion, but the servers are getting more and more empty and its hard to find a server that isn't overrun with bots because they can't fill the rooms anymore.

In light of me building a brand spaking new computer (which i'm still debating over parts; feel free to post your opinions: http://www.geekstogo...uy-t259309.html), I will finally be able run a modern game. So the question now becomes, what game will give me the same online fun that will last me another 5 years?

Here's what I have in my cart with my new computer right now:

Team Fortress 2
Battlefield 2 + all expansions
Left 4 Dead 2

TF2 is $9. BF2 with all the expansion packs is $14. I'm getting both of those because they seem to have a good following and the prices are too cheap not to get em. L4D2 just looks like a fun game.

People mention COD and Crysis, but those are more focused around single player storylines. I'm looking for a game thats based around online play. We have COD4 here on our base for the xbox 360. Its fun I suppose, but its just not really what i'm looking for. (Maybe its because a 5 year old can wipe the table with me on a console shooter games)

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory would be the simple answer to upgrade from wolfenstein since for all intensive purposes its its "sequal". (not in the sense of the game storyline, but rather the next installment in the ET realm of games) Everyone i've talked to says it sucks tho.

I know BF2 is getting pretty old. Do people still play it? And what kind of online multiplayer support does L4D2 have? Does it keep track of any stats? Can you upgrade and get special items as you run around in the multiplayer world? or is it more set-up for co-ops and deathmatches?

Any thoughts on Counterstrike: Source? I might just say screw it and get the whole Valve package :)

And lets just say for the sake of arguement that with the information i've given you, that everyone ends up with the conclusion of Call of Duty. Which one would you recommend and why?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
for modern games, I would look at Battlefield Bad company 2 and battlefield 1943. Call of duty world at war is fun, but I don't know how long people will still play that game. tf2 is a great game. L4d2 looks to be very good.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I think bad company 2 is my winner. to bad its not released yet. I might have to put in the pre-order. The trailers look sick! screw you COD