1. I will power up system and any print jobs left from the day before (that wouldn't print) go ahead and print, clearing queue.
2. On trying to print anything further, I receive the error message "communication not available." Sometimes, if I'm lucky enough to get one document to print shortly after power up, I receive the message "printer status window interface stopped working and was closed."
Here is what I've done so far to remedy the solution:
1. Uninstalled driver, ran patch from Dell, and reinstalled driver (32 bit).
2. Ran through diagnostics for printer troubleshooting on dell.com. At end of this, ran a test page successfully.
3. Unchecked UAC (user account control) at one point, which allowed printer to print one page and then problem started again. I have since rechecked UAC.
4. Tried a new USB cord for the heck of it and have the same sporadic print problem.
5. Reset computer back two weeks and have same problem.
6. Noted this whole problem started shortly after I downloaded Adobe 9. I have since uninstalled Adobe 9 and reinstalled 9.2. I also ran Microsoft Installer Cleaner prior to installation of 9.2.
7. Checked each USB root hub to make sure device working properly and noted box was unchecked for "allow computer to turn off this device to save power."
8. Checked the obvious to make sure printer has green icon with white checkmark as "ready."
What the heck am I missing? Thanks for any help you can give.